What's up with Iron Banner? (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, June 07, 2022, 21:00 (687 days ago) @ cheapLEY

[cheapLEY] I legitimately just want to know why. Like, they’re the new hot subclasses—I don’t think players need any more incentive to engage with them.

I desperately want to enjoy the game like I used to, and this season has given me some of that. But then these challenges happen and it’s like the game refuses to even meet me half way.

[squidnh3] I gotta say this comes across as a little overly critical. These are not the super-onerous challenges of old, like, "Get 3 Heavy kills in a match you also win" or "100 ability kills" right after they nerfed super regen. It's just "Play Iron Banner with our cool new subclasses!". I feel like they are meeting you well over halfway, I would say like 7/8 of the way. Anything less and it's "here's something for doing absolutely nothing".

Maybe I'm just biased from having a blast rocking Gunslinger w/ a good super again. I played 16 matches last night and popping my super and getting a triple kill with exploding Golden Gun shots to help the rift runner score wasn't getting old.

[cheapLEY] I resent that a bit. I’m not doing nothing—I’m playing 18 games of Iron Banner. What does it matter which class I’m using to do it?

I would have probably happily played more than that, but the subclass restriction meant I stopped after the second challenge. I’m tired of being restricted in playstyle to get the benefit of Pinnacle drops. It’s fucking stupid. I don’t care what their legimate reasons are—there is nothing they could say that convinced me it’s a good idea.

I’m not as mad as I sound. I just switched back to my Stasis Hunter and wrote off those Pinnacles and had a good night, but it’s stupid that I had to make that choice.

Before I start this, a quick lore note. Based purely on posts alone, cheapLEY is the Witnesses #1 fan. ;D

Have to tip my hat to squidnh3 here, your take seems to be airing on the side of pretentious, or perhaps even say a touch toddlerish maybe. Might be too strong to say "get off your high horse", but... that's the air to the idea I get. The feeling of, the jest, so on so on. And I should also note, that the reason for this may be because of how you said it.

Anyway, now to declare an obvious; this game has objectives, as is true for... all games, I think it safe to say. In this game, broadly, roughly speaking, some of them have been burdensome and stupid, just as some of them still are in some variances of degrees, burdensome and stupid. We BOTH know this in agreement. Yet this? It's a... a really shallow pool you find yourself drowning in there cheap. And, I'm not feel'n it. I'm not feeling that urgency. It's hardly even a little onerous for the Game/Devs to be askin' that you play on a Void or Solar Subclass instead of something else while you play this, well... now last weeks Iron Banner. It's so stupid simple, I don't understand what behooves you to jump on here and declare, as you have here, a certain my way or the highway.

TL;DR - It sounds like a you problem in this case. I know how hard that hits on the internet, I feel it writing it. But cheapLEY, really. I'm sitting here, thinking about... ok, of the proposed problem, what would be the best solution. And the solution becomes a stolid one thing only; Play X# games, get Shiny loot thing. It's fuzzy, but I think we learned that lesson in Destiny 1. Cool at first, but got long on the tooth quick. Can't say "have none, pure anarchy, pure freedom" because then how does the program know when to give the goods? Like it or not, there are limits.

All said, I don't think it would be too much for Bungie to add an "OR" in the pinnacle goal, but then I suppose that would be asking for too much, yeah? OH HOW DARE THEY... so-on so-on so-on.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And, one more thing... from on madman to another, you're always as mad as you sound cheapLEY. ;D

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread