I agree. (Off-Topic)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, October 10, 2022, 19:27 (557 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Kermit, Monday, October 10, 2022, 20:09

And it's not just politics (thankfully, because life is more than that), it's engaging in the lives of real, complex people who have a history that runs deep in this universe

That’s politics. Maybe not in the capitol P sense that we normally mean when the word is brought up, but the daily trials and tribulations of society and the people that live within it is politics. Politics isn’t just about governance, it’s every aspect of societal structure. Andor seems deeply interested in that. It feels like they thought about the history of the people and places we see in a way that Star Wars typically doesn’t, and I love it.

I am interested in how the show explores the political machinations of the universe (which I suspect it will do more seriously and thoughtfully than it's been done before). That's all good, as long as it keeps its focus on characters primarily, as it has so far. Otherwise, I think I disagree. Do politics dictate how the characters in Cassian's personal orbit feel about him and vice versa? Is his love for his sister political? To say politics is behind it all is, to me, having the cart pull the horse. Our lives (and good stories) are about more than "societal structure"--however that's defined. I'm not saying this is you, but I often find when people start using phrases like that, they're presenting an untouchable, rhetorical tar baby-- a way of subsuming "every aspect" of experience into a political narrative, at which point the word "politics" has no meaning, because it means everything, or, rather, nothing exists outside it. I find that a very sad and narrow way to view the human condition--a view that denies individual agency (along with much else that makes us human).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread