I told you I told you... don't add the Bungie API! (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, December 30, 2022, 09:17 (480 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by INSANEdrive, Friday, December 30, 2022, 09:22

Nobody really cares about the details, but a necessary server upgrade (php 7.4, which reached the end of its life last month, went up to 8.2) broke this forum really badly.

I ended up upgrading the forum from the version we'd been using (installed in 2014) to a version released a few months ago. There are probably 5000 things still broken in there now, because I tried to keep the various functions we've added over the years, and adding those into the new version while being stressed that the whole forum is offline is probably not the best way to do things right. If you find broken stuff, you've got a couple of choices: you can let me know, or you can just wait and hope it gets fixed without letting me know. I don't have a preferred option here; I don't want to do either one. That said, eventually I will.

Turns out that a feature this forum software relies on heavily doesn't work under php 8.2... so after all that I had to downgrade to 8.1. Bleh.

Anyway, it seems to be holding together, mostly.

I blame Telesto. Or maybe Revision 0.

;P

Some of the changes are obvious. I see here as I'm making the post that the buttons for formatting are uh, "less clicky" lets say. Feels a good time to request adding "format text underline" [u][/u] and oh what was that other thing "format strikethrough" [strike][/strike] which have always been there in the code, but for WHATEVER reason, didn't have a quick button for them. Might as well since you're in the code anyway.

As of my posting, the... I think the term is shadowbox? Whatever it is that lets the thumbnail also embiggen, and not just link to it, is down. Than again, it might be nice to also have something that will shrink an image, but also act at a link to it. I'm thinking of cases where an image is so oversized anyway that it overlaps the bounds of the screen. It's still nice to see what you're clicking into, maybe a [img=thumbnaillink] tag?

[image]

Last thing I have to say at the moment is something that may have been noticed, but the correlation missed. Y'all may have noticed that some of the headline titles are no longer bold, including the posts pinned at the top of the forum. Seems to me that this is because they are locked. If the title is not in it's usual "old default" bold, the whole thread is locked.

Oh, and the youtube video in the Forum Guidelines is requiring a youtube site view, where before it did not.

It seems odd it would switch to this after the update, as all other posts with youtube embeds seem to be working. Maybe the new update recognizes settings that the old one did not? As it just so happens, I was but two days ago looking at the Forum Guidelines, simply out of curiosity in not having clicked it in so long. The video worked embedded.

What can I say, I check all the corners I can in videogames, so why not the videogame fourm. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's what I have to say on a nimble glance. Thanks Wu.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread