The Hobbit 2: The Legend of Curly's Gold (Off-Topic)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, December 19, 2013, 15:28 (3841 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Thoroughly looking forward to it . And the real edition next November. :)

For The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Extended Edition has been giving me and Maddie weeks of enjoyment lately - besides just the few new scenes adding quieter character moments (as well as more comedy and Middle-Earth songs), the weeks-worth of often-hilarious Appendices have truly enriched the experience. Besides growing respect for the actors, especially Richard Armitage who really knows his Tolkien lore, you get discussion on all the creative decisions, like how Jackson is purposefully making The Hobbit(s) more whimsical and 'painted' to both fit the source material and make the LOTR trilogy more grounded and serious by that contrast. And for the uninitiated, who often think Jackson's just throwing in random crap to his adaption, you get to see where these additions and changes came from - like scenes that weren't adapted in LOTR but not get the light of day, lore from the LOTR's appendices, and nods to the Silmarillion and even some of Tolkien's abandoned manuscripts (Gandalf not knowing the Blue Wizard's names for example).

The EE versions, especially at home, is where the original trilogy went from a fun action adventure movie to true moving epic for me. Sadly, hours and hours of content just doesn't work too well when you're stuck in theater. So really, this new trilogy doesn't end for me until something like Nov. 2015. Can't wait! :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread