What is up with this shuttering. (Off-Topic)

by RC ⌂, UK, Sunday, December 29, 2013, 14:50 (3774 days ago) @ uberfoop

You speak of 'juddering' and this is surprising as a reason for switching to 48fps is that it was going to eliminate (or decrease) it.

No, I'm not talking about judder, or any other sort of issue with low/unstable framerates.

I'm saying that it feels blurry in motion in a way which doesn't tend to bother me in most other films, and I think it's a combination of cinematography and shutter timing. This was a larger problem when I watched it in 48fps, by the way, since higher framerates don't need as much motion blur in order to look smooth.

Well if the aim was to preserve the traditional 'filmic' look of 180 degree shutters on the 24hz version, then they would have been shooting with a full 360 degree shutter in 48hz. That means that each frame is going to be just as blurry as normal, but now you're seeing all of the motion, and in stereoscopic.

I did think that the shooting style was more consistent with a 24hz film, rather than to the true benefit of the stereoscopic. I don't think anyone has properly figured out the 'language' of stereoscopic yet.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread