Want to try skydiving (Off-Topic)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 00:44 (3808 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Hello all!

I remember from a few months back that some people here had skydiving experience.

I want to try this for the first time.

What do I need to look out for, what questions should I ask, how much should I be looking to spend, what else do I need to know?

cheers

Find a USPA dropzone. USPA is the governing body that oversees the sport in the United States. They have standards that they set, including safety ones. You can go to a non-USPA dropzone, but I honestly wouldn't recommend it.

You can find them at uspa.org.

With that out of the way, you should determine whether or not you want to do Tandem or AFF. Tandem is when you are attached to a tandem master. AFF lets you jump with your own rig, along side instructors. AFF is more costly, and you need about an 8 hour class and training. But it's way cooler.

Be sure that whoever your instructor is lets you participate, and teaches you about the sport if going tandem. This includes giving you an altimeter, teaching you basics, letting you deploy the main, etc.

Plan to spend the entire day there, and ask to party with the jumpers afterward. Skydivers love to party.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread