GTA V (Destiny)

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Thursday, February 06, 2014, 19:02 (3741 days ago) @ Decom

But when I think about GTA, I always think back to one of the girls in my high school class. She was in the popular/preppy crowd and I was talking to her one day and the topic of videogames came up. She said the only game she liked to play was GTA because it let her "run people over and bang hookers". There are so many casual players like her and grandparents who know nothing about videogames that I can't possibly see how Destiny will be able to compete -- even if it wins over the 'gamer' crowd.

I think you're discrediting Bungie's ability to breathe life into an old genre with an exciting new universe. Before Halo: Combat Evolved, I very rarely played shooters. Counter-Strike, Goldeneye, Half-Life, and Perfect Dark were all that I had played for years and I was often bored. Shooters weren't so distasteful after I landed on Halo for the first time.

Look back at Call of Duty. It came into popularity after years of saturation in the Second World War setting. Yeah, these games were very popular, but look at that franchise's explosion after the original Modern Warfare came out. I knew few who even realized that Call of Duty was a thing before that game came out.

When I became a shooter fan a decade or so ago, I would consider myself a casual player, just as many Call of Duty players are today. That doesn't mean that they aren't craving new and exciting experiences they've never seen before. I think Destiny has serious potential to garner the same sort of excitement and passion that games like Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, Halo, and World of Warcraft have brought out in your ordinary, unobsessed gamer.

Also, what makes you think Destiny won't allow us to run people over and bang hookers?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread