*stands on relatively modest soapbox* (Destiny)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, April 25, 2014, 15:00 (3662 days ago) @ Kermit

I'll just have to send you my PS3 at some point. Not really joking.

Outstanding. I will treasure it as if my own child.

I'm scared. :) I think there might be something to the argument that competition between Microsoft and Sony has made both better and by certain metrics created better value for gamers.

Don't be. ;) "Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind." Well, at least, that's the goal.

I'm weird. As a Mac gamer, I was used to being in the cold, but not being able to play everything kind of refined my choices. I don't know if I ever would have become a Bungie fan if I were not a Mac user first. Although I was interested, I didn't live and breathe gaming (unlike many around here), and part of that was that I didn't have a console (save for PONG) growing up, and I didn't get into it enough to invest in a PC rig. When I finally made the leap with the original Xbox, it began to open things up for me (despite the fact that I was primarily a Halo gamer for years), a console was generally cheaper than a good gaming PC and provided state of the art gaming for a longer period of time.

I'll return to this later. The bus waits for no man.

This community owes a lot to the limited and consistent nature of consoles along with its relatively low price of entry.

This is a good point.

It's going to be interesting to see how it all develops given that we all won't be able to play together for Destiny.*

*At least I think that's a very safe prediction.

Kermit

Perhaps an excellent goal for the next gen (or this one, if possible) would be eliminating this possibility. While the Bleeding Edge of Technology is nice, it's not really needed to experience great things. Consoles do open that gate, which I'm all for. They should take the brave step and open that gate even further, if only because it's the right thing to do.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread