Quick question about your console setups (Gaming)

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, May 26, 2014, 09:03 (3630 days ago) @ RC

With wireless, you can get packet loss for all sorts of reasons - microwaving dinner, wiring in your house causing interference, or other changing environmental factors.

You should buy a new microwave. One that - you know - isn't trying to kill you.

Seriously: microwave ovens have shields designed to prevent the radiation leaking and cooking you along with dinner (it also increases efficiency AFAIK). If enough is leaking that it's interfering with your Wi-Fi then the shield is definitely damaged. It is a hazard and the unit needs replacing.

Between the set of offices where I work and another set, there's a small hallway that has a mini fridge and a microwave on a table. I can see the hallway from my desk. One day I thought I would be funny and hide one of those remote controlled fart machines under the table that the microwave sets on. There's a guy in the other set of offices that I wanted to prank with it. Shortly after I put it under the table, an older lady in the office, definately the one I would not want to prank, went over to the microwave to heat something up. As soon as the microwave started that fart machine went off, and it would not stop farting. She freaked out. I freaked out because I didn't know why it was going off repeatedly. The guy next to me freaked out because she's the last person in the office we should be pranking. After much apologising, we investigated the problem. Turns out the microwave puts off the same frequency as a fart machine's remote. And it was plenty of radiation to go through a shelf and a table and make that fart machine go nuts.

I hated that microwave. The door always got stuck. One day it finally would not open and somebody got a new one to replace it. Rather than just throwing it out, I put it in my car and took it out to a creek with some of my buddies. We unloaded on that thing with a pretty wide variety of ammo. At the angle we were shooting, the rounds were skipping off the metal plate in the bottom and making a lot of sparks. We lined up a bunch of mags of 5.56 and tried to set it on fire. No luck, but that plate took it like a champ. Moral of the story: if you're being shot at, flip your microwave to a 45 degree angle and use it as a shield.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread