The calls for a map are wrong (Destiny)

by Phoenix_9286 @, Sunday, June 15, 2014, 11:30 (3605 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The easiest way to stop exploration, is to look at a map and see it all filled in. You've gone everywhere.

Not for people like me.

A) My sense of direction is shit. So is my memory when it comes to huge game worlds. I needed a map just to remember where certain shops were located in the Imperial City in Oblivion, and I'd visited most of them more times than I care to remember.

B) Just Cause 2. Had a map. Did not hamper exploration. I can't count the number of times I'd drop a waypoint on the map in the middle of nowhere, fly out there, and just spend time dicking around in the rain forest. In fact, that was how I found the Hot Air Balloon.

C) Just because the map fills in areas in broad strokes does not mean you've gone everywhere and seen everything. Those who want to explore, will explore.

Maps are good. Maps are nice. Personally I'd want a little minimap (I'd frequently pop into the map in Borderlands, make note of where I wanted to go, and then overshoot or make a wrong turn.), but seeing as how that would muss up what so far looks like a very pretty HUD, a menu map isn't bad. Just so long as I can drop waypoints and have them appear on the radar/motion tracker widget.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread