Well I guess that explains a lot. (Destiny)

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Monday, June 16, 2014, 17:04 (3601 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Halo 2 had this problem as well. I don't know about Halo.

These games were output in 480i though, so it was more noticeable. You'd have a rendered frame be on the even, then odd field of a frame, making a perfectly progressive image. Sometimes you'd get what they are talking about, and it'd delay a field, resulting in the rendered frame being displayed on the odd field of one frame, and the even of the next. Then it'd look interlaced and disgusting on a computer.

Are you sure that it was actually a frame-pacing issue (i.e. stuff like even-odd-even of one frame followed by just the odd of the next frame, before going on to another frame) and not simply poor deinterlacing or regular performance hitches? Even normal slowdown (i.e. a frame being displayed for one extra field) would cause field alignmeny issues, but isn't quite the sort of stutter we're talking about.

I've seen spikes in Halo's 1 and 2, and pauses at load zones, but they don't feel like they have a microstutter problem.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread