Completely agree. (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, June 18, 2014, 05:05 (3609 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I agree on all points, but this in particular is crucial:

I think Bungie can keep the long boss fights, so long as the bosses change into tougher and tougher forms as time goes on. Let's say you want Sepkis Prime to take 10 minutes for a properly geared fireteam. If he had 5 segments to his lifebar, that's 2 minutes a segment, which is kind of the sweet spot. Provided he have 5 different, ever tougher attack patterns / forms, then a 10 minutes fight could be very enjoyable.

I've always been a fan of bosses that require a few steps in the process of taking them down; be it dropping shields, or peeling back the armor over the glowing red spot, etc. Environmental hazards that do more damage than you can manage with your weapons are always fun, too.

The key (for me, at least) is that it needs to be a dynamic experience. You don't get the crescendo effect if you aren't kept on your toes for the duration of the battle, not knowing what to expect next. It's why I've never agreed with the argument a lot of people make about hating that boss fights take you out of the normal conventions of the established gameplay. That's the whole point, after all.

~m

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread