The Ps4 Rabbit Hole (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, June 23, 2014, 02:10 (3601 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Continuing onward, apparently a sort of karma is upon us. Part of the rational, presumeing I am interpreting one of the articles passages correctly, is since Bungie has been essentially an Xbox Brand for so long they wanted to show the Sony fans some love and help entice them into the fold. Those of use who have been on the Xbox (or even Mac) already know what Bungie can do, so now it is the turn of those under the Sony umbrella. To quote urk:

"But specifically with Sony we have some work to do in terms of awareness and getting people excited about a Bungie game."

We'll see what Bungie does of all this.

This also helps answer why the Ps4 the lead development platform for Destiny. So yea. That is that.

I also think that it is likely that MS perceives Destiny, as a sci-fi shooter made by the studio that brought you Halo, is a direct threat to Halo on their platform.

Of course, they wouldn't just deny it entrance to the platform, as they'd be handing Sony an exclusive, and that would hurt MS if the game sells well.

But if people don't decide they need to have both games, and end up choosing between them, I'm guessing MS gets more out of each unit sold of the Halo franchise as a first party title. And if MS had believed in the idea of Destiny as a new franchise for Bungie, it occurs to me that they could have remained a first party developer. with Halo handed over to 343, and no version of Destiny for Sony anything.

When you add to that the fact that many at E3, even those complimentary of Destiny, thought it felt, looked, and sounded a lot like Halo, you're forced to conclude that Bungie proposed wiping the slate clean to make a new game that was sort of like, but not exactly like, Halo, with a cooperative focus and some RPG elements, and MS considered this too much of a risk to take.

Interesting.

So I don't know what other considerations Activision and Bungie get from Sony, but there is probably a perception from the MS side that they have little incentive to match it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread