It isn't that bad, but he misses the point (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 30, 2014, 08:15 (3585 days ago) @ Durandal

It seemed to me more that he felt frustrated that there wasn't ACTION!!!! and EXPLOSIONS!!! all the time right from the git go. The slowness of play is more due to the mechanics of the players vs. the FPS of the game, but the two games he cites Titanfall and CoD are very twitch heavy.

Some people really like the high twitch high speed gameplay. They like to be bouncing off all the walls on Titanfall or jumping around corners in CoD, and while that can be fun it isn't Destiny's theme.

I find the CoD/Titanfall twitchfests to be somewhat rage inducing because you can be well prepped to take on an opponent coming around a corner, but the lag compensation gives the attacker a major advantage. Not to mention both have comparatively sloppy gameplay and bugs galore, but that is what some people want. They want no scope instakills and to jump shot around corners. It is sort of like reality TV vs. a good series.

Agreed. I didn't think he was that negative. He seemed more like he was trying to maintain a critical eye rather than just wax enthusiastically like so many others. Frankly, the alpha grew on me quite a bit. I liked it much more after having spent many hours playing it. I suspect it's the kind of game that gets its hooks in you slowly, and the alpha only teased at some of the hooks to come (especially in regards to the story, which I anticipate and hope will infuse all gameplay with more meaning than it had in the alpha). I'm not sure if game journalists had enough time playing to get a glimpse at how deep this game will go. Regardless, by the end he professed having an open mind, and like so many professional game journalists, focused on whether it will make enough money rather than will it be a good game.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread