Happy Bungie Day, Bungie.org (Destiny)

by petetheduck, Monday, July 07, 2014, 17:48 (3587 days ago) @ DeeJ

I am a product of this community. This community is a product of Bungie games. The symbiosis runs deep. The roots are old. Bungie the Developers and Bungie the Community are inseparable. Always have been.

Being a Bungie fan has always demanded a constant and painful state of evolution. This company has endured for a long time as a moving target in a highly competitive landscape. Partnerships morph. Sandboxes evolve. Firing patterns change. Like a shark, we swim to survive. From generation to generation, Bungie fans have been challenged to do the same.

If you can remember debates about the best iteration of a pistol or what it was like to buy your first Microsoft product after a long career as an Apple gamer, you know what's it’s like to be a Bungie fan - to put the creators before the device, or any one game. There are people on this forum who can recount that storied campaign better than I.

We make games. Every ounce of our energy is immersed in developing something that will delight your imagination and quicken your pulse. That's what we talk about within our walls - every day. We talk about you. We look to our community for the truth about what we've created. With everything that might seem different, there are some essential things that have not changed.

Destiny will be more inclusive than anything we've ever made. We're reaching out to more gamers than ever before. We'll relate to each of them as Guardians. We will care deeply about each of them. On Bungie.net, you will all be equal.

So, Happy Bungie Day. Hope to see you in the Tower.

You were supposed to be different, Bungie. You were supposed to be that developer that wasn't consumed by the Darkness--that didn't let publishers' interest affect your fans. You broke free from Microsoft to do just that, didn't you?

Maybe this current situation is the least of all evils. Maybe it could have been worse. Maybe you fought to make sure every piece of Destiny will, eventually, after a really long time, be available on all platforms. Maybe you don't have the strength, yet, to do what you truly want to do.

Bungie being on all platforms should feel like a win-win, but it doesn't. I can't think of a single piece of Destiny content that doesn't somehow favor the Playstation 4. It is excessive; Alpha, early and extra Beta, digital pre-loading, a plethora of timed exclusives at launch, timed exclusive content in paid DLC--and that's just what we know about. What about all that we don't know about, Bungie? Will the DLC itself come early to Playstation consoles? Will Destiny 2 have a Beta with similar treatment? Was ALL OF THIS really necessary?

Bungie treats Xbox like a taboo. Sure, you're making a game we can play on our hardware, but you barely even talk about us. When Destiny was announced on four platforms I was thinking, sweet, I don't have to experience what Apple users did. No, this is some other kind of weird we get to experience.

Destiny on Xbox is being presented as an incomplete experience.

Oh, it'll be complete in Fall 2015.

Or will it? You don't tell us these things. Will we even be told the duration of the Playstation timed exclusives before launch? Will be we able to port our character from Xbox to Playstation in 2 years when we're tired of being late to every party?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread