Theater (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, July 24, 2014, 18:41 (3569 days ago) @ Avateur

Regardless, if you didn't have to always be connected, you could at least keep playing or doing something. Instead, boom, you're kicked out completely. I wonder if that will affect any theater mode or whatever they have. Will all functionality just cease?

I'm guessing there isn't going to be one. The replay capabilities that Bungie built into Marathon, Myth, and then Halo I think depend on the game world being absolutely predictable in all relevant aspects, so when you take the game's initial state and add the inputs, you get the same result.

Halo's coop, for instance, for me is nigh unplayable because of how strictly in sync it wants to stay, and it stutters when one side can't catch up.

Online coop and theater mode both were added in Halo 3, and Bungie said at the time they were related technically.

Destiny's coop is smooth as butter on my connection compared to Halo 3, and I have a suspicion that it's because stuff that does not affect outcomes is being allowed to go out of sync; but this might mean that things that don't affect progression don't have precise values, which may mean that the complete predictability that films rely on no longer exists.

Possibly the only recourse is the kind of built-in video clip sharing features that the new consoles have. A pity, I suppose.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread