On Levels (Destiny)

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Friday, July 25, 2014, 18:23 (3568 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by RaichuKFM, Friday, July 25, 2014, 18:27

Uhh... I fail to see how your argument works. Leveling up doesn't simulate improving the learnable skills of the FPS (aiming, dodging, tactics, etcetera). It offers you new abilities and equipment, which impact how you use your learnable skills, which is on principle exactly the same as Dungeons & Dragons. Because the learnable skills in Dungeons & Dragons are strategy, tactics, improvisation, etcetera; much like Destiny's learnable facets, these are not entirely level dependent, but depending on your equipment and abilities you can make use of them differently. And if you oppose using an experience system to gradually allow access to better gear, that's fine, but that doesn't mean it's a bad move to implement such a system. It is a more complex issue when considering PvP, but with the damage equalizing in most of those modes it isn't an overly large one, at least from what I've experienced in the Beta.

I don't mean to be rude, here, but all the times I've seen you bring up Dungeons & Dragons in an argument it's fallen flat to me, because of my own experience with the game. Just thought it would be worth mentioning.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I meant to explicitly bring up that what makes the "learnable" abilities different is that the character has the leveled abilities, whereas the player has the learnable ones.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread