On Levels *GIF* (Destiny)

by Numinar @, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 12:09 (3567 days ago) @ Cody Miller

FPS or RPG?

[image]

That's all I have to say on that.

And that game is Deus Ex, and it's a masterpiece. But Destiny uses the system in completely lame and backwards way, whereas Deus Ex does it absolutely right.

But the shooting mechanics were not fun in DE! It is a masterpiece though.

In Destiny, shooting is fun. Maybe not as fun as Halo, but the battle of movement/tactics is about the same. This is what makes it different to other FPS RPG's that have preceded it in my eyes. It's not much of a difference, but there is a market for this kind of game.

It's a loot game though, there is no escaping it. I seriously doubt the consequences of that were overlooked by an incompetent Bungie like you suggest, it has been done with full awareness of the pitfalls and advantages involved. I can imagine there are some big Halo fans that are not into this, some of who will be swayed by this title and some who will never get into it. And that is fine. I don't think they have been misled though. The game isn't called Halo 5/Marathon 4.

I have similar concerns about not having those highly tuned Heroic/Legendary/Skull modified Halo levels to master with the same tools everyone else has. But I do enjoy the progression system. If you break it down it might be shallow, but so is every game. If the basic foundation of this title rubs you the wrong way, maybe you should cancel your preorder? (If you have one) I know I skipped out on ONI. Don't worry, nobody will think less of you. Bungie will have you back next time they cook a meal to your specific tastes.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread