Removal of "Join fireteam" option from the XB1 beta (Destiny)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, August 04, 2014, 22:26 (3561 days ago) @ nash

I've only played multiplayer on one game on XBone (Forza 5) but from what I've seen, this appears to be normal. Game invites seem to be handled entirely through the console UI. There's no invite option in Forza 5, it's just done through the friends menu. I'm not sure if this is a requirement they force devs to follow, or if there's some technical thing that keeps it this way.

When the XBone first launched there was no distinction between XBL party and game party. To get in a Forza 5 session with someone, you both just had to be playing the game, and form an XBL party. I think MS believed this was easier for users to understand, but it was also hugely inflexible. Later they updated the system to separate party invites and game invites more, but there's still signs of the old system (Forza 5 still behaves very similarly to how it did at launch, and there is still no in-game invite mechanism).

Up until now it actually didn't occur to me that this might be the case going forward on that platform. I just assumed Forza 5 stayed how it was because they couldn't/wouldn't change the game that much after launch. But maybe that's just how XBone is going to roll for everything? Or, maybe it was just Beta weirdness. I dunno.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread