Why I don't read the front page (DBO)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, August 17, 2014, 00:08 (3550 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I always read the front page on HBO. Not so much here.

It's really simple why. I like the forums. On HBO, the link is down and off to the side, so the news stories are front and center, so I can't help but check them out. However here, the link is at the top. I click it, and my eyes haven't even had a chance to see anything underneath it, which is where the news stories live.

But that's just me.

Claude should make a Cody.Bungie.Org that has all the links at the bottom then, I guess. :)

Personally, I always read the news first and then only check the forums if I'm in the mood these days. Usually it's story speculation that fuels that click, while big or exciting news tends to scare me away (I've had my enthusiasm ground to a halt too many times by random forums/comments across the internet - I've slowly started to learn from that, heh).

I read HBO's front page for years before I ventured into the forums, and then spent more time before I ever posted there. But I was younger then and could wrangle my positivity more efficiently. If I was just getting into Destiny/Bungie, I'd probably avoid the forum completely, as I do with pretty much every other site I visit. Just don't have time nor interest to weed through cynicism, trumped-up opinions, etc. anymore. I still find B.Org forums to have less of that than most forums, though. :)

As for the titles of the news, I guess everybody finds different things interesting for further investigation. I tend to make mine up with the immediate blurb afterwards in mind, as well, since that's its natural habitat. :)

Everybody on the 'DBO crew' is pretty busy at the moment - hell, one of them even works for 343i now! Perhaps in the future we can be some super-efficient news aggregator, but there's a lot of sites out there that focus on providing that. At least, that's the impression I was under - I'm not much of a news-hunter, myself. I was reading HBO for a decade because I was reading Louis Wu's words or Stuntmutt's, or the Story Page, not cold results in a Google search or something. There was a calm style and a dependable consistency. Even now, when I've tried to post some important news when the rest of the Deebo Manor is empty, I can't help but try to emulate Claude's voice from time to time, heh.

Hopefully the crew get's more time soon to employ some of the ideas we've been kicking around. I have a feeling actually playing Destiny will be great inspiration.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread