Why I don't read the front page (DBO)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, August 17, 2014, 15:12 (3550 days ago) @ kapowaz

Just don't have time nor interest to weed through cynicism, trumped-up opinions, etc. anymore.

Now, that's cynicism.

You could see it that way, I suppose, but I don't. Perhaps I should elaborate. What I'm talking about is simply recognizing things that were frustrating me and depressing me, and fixing that issue by avoiding those things. I had realized that since getting out of college I had grown addicted to the internet and was constantly using it to distract myself from my own problems. But in doing so, I made those problems much worse. So I started using blocking and "Stay Focused" plugins to ween myself off. Now I don't have the Internet connected to the computer I use for art at all, and I've found I'm a bit healthier and more productive for it. But I'm still not in a state where I can just look past all the cynicism of the Internet, so I'm still wary of the places and formats that seem to draw those kinds of attitudes. Hopefully in the future I can use it without regard and not be brought down by this or that.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread