How utterly stupid. (Destiny)

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 08:23 (3526 days ago) @ bluerunner

Meh. I don't see this that much different than suiciding while playing Halo coop to get more ammo and grenades. Or having one player hang back while the other runs in and tries to get a kill or two before dying. And I prefer that in single player over the old method of backtracking for 2 minutes to pick up ammo packs.

Disagree.

In Halo (excluding 4 since you're always looking for ammo there haha) CE on the occasion I ran out of ammo I was forced to pick up a new weapon and use that, or rely on one until I found more. That is good for a couple of reasons, because it forces you to try more of the sandbox. It also adds to the narrative (in my mind, it did at least) that "I'm the Chief. I'm out of ammo. I need to improvise. Plasma Pistol you say? Why not? I'm the goddamned Chief!" I can specifically remember occasion fighting the flood where I ran out of shotgun ammo, had to use a pistol and had my back against the wall. It was exhilarating, especially when I'd survive the encounter.

Destiny may be about guns guns and more guns, but it doesn't encourage you to swap them quite in the same way.

-----------------------

That said, I think its different when you play co-op. Maybe it's just me, but I never get that feeling that what I am doing is serious when I'm playing with friends or randoms. This is usually because some of that immersion is lost as you chat with your buds- but even when you try to play more seriously, it's just not the same.

Also, what you said above is not any different in Destiny. You just keep throwing your body at sepiks prime and wait for your fire team to revive you or wait 30 seconds to respawn if they can't get you, no penalty.

It's not that the gameplay isn't fun- it is. It's just that my actions have no meaning. They have no impact. I can ground-hog day again and again and again and eventually I'll prevail through time, not ability.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread