What's wrong with Destiny - The Game Design (Destiny)

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 10:34 (3517 days ago) @ Revenant1988
edited by uberfoop, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 10:38

Yes, Destiny has many, many flaws and of the reviews I've read I don't see any reason to disagree with scores of 6\10 or 7\10. In fact, I think it's fantastic that we have a AAA game that didn't get an obligatory 10/10 because it's a huge studio and publisher. That leads me to believe the scores are honest.

A 6 or 7 out of 10 doesn't mean it's a bad game, or that it's a failure. It means that it is average. And to me, that's what Destiny feels like. New, but average.

We've become desensitized to that scoring system, just like product reviews. If something is an 8/10 or less, it must be shit. If a product is 3.5 starts out of 5 it's shit.

We're all jaded.

We don't think like that because we're jaded. We think like that because that's how reviewers actually tend to rate games. They operate similar to letter grades in schools; 7/10 isn't "average," it's bordering on failure.

And regardless of what the scale means in any kind of absolute sense, a 75 metascore is quite low for a Bungie primary title. Which merits some discussion regardless of what you think the score means relative to games in general.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread