Interesting Notes on Destiny (Not mine) (Destiny)

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 14:47 (3522 days ago)

Stumbled across these review notes written by an independent critic - One of the bungie guys praised his writing on twitter so I clicked through.

Some key quotes:

two claims that the rest of these notes will boil down: 1) I am really enjoying Destiny. 2) There is nothing particularly interesting about Destiny.

Bungie is not afraid to repeat Destiny’s environments over again and again. They will have you walk down the same corridors time and time again to kill the same enemies time and time again. I don’t think this is laziness so much as a confidence that exploration is not why you are playing this game, a confidence that the only role of ‘space’ here is to create an area for you to shoot things in. It gambles that that core loop of shooting things will be satisfying enough that you don’t care that you aren’t actually going anywhere interesting: Earth World wasteland, Moon World wasteland, Venus World wasteland. Halo was the same, with repeated level segments and stages that were other stages backwards. In Halo it never bothered me (though it certainly bothered others) for I was at least progressing a story. In Destiny, though, I am already beginning to tire of seeing the same spaces over and over again. But I keep playing because it feels good.

let’s talk about the story, which, I assume, was written by a semi-sentient fax machine. ‘The Darkness’ is attacking ‘The Light’ who must be protected by ‘The Guardians’. ‘The Fallen’, ‘The Hive’, ‘The Vex’, and ‘The Cabal’ are bad. It’s easy to mock Peter Dinklage’s terrible voice acting (and it certainly is terrible), but it’s not like he had anything at all interesting to work with. The semi-sentient fax machine spat out some @videogames_ebooks words in vaguely coherent sentences, and he did the best he possibly could do with them. What strikes me as weird is that they even bothered to get a big name actor in the first place.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread