"Players help shape the world"? (Destiny)

by car15, Monday, September 15, 2014, 12:10 (3509 days ago) @ marmot 1333

A lot of that concept art was shown at the GDC panel which was talking about how they had been creating the game. At this point, the game was what, 17 months out? (Was it feb 2013?) Things change in development within a few months, let alone a year and a half. It would also make sense that concept art for a 10-year franchise would not all show up in the first year.

I was thinking specifically about the vidoc Bungie produced to announce the game.

implied many things without directly stating them

Maybe you just read into the things?

Well clearly, I did. What I'm saying is that I think Bungie intentionally marketed the game in such a way that people would do this. By creating an information vacuum and making a series of incredibly vague and lofty promises about the nature of the game, they encouraged this kind of insane speculation.

I am also of the personal belief that the conclusions I drew were purposely implied in the marketing, as it's clear that I am not the only one who drew those conclusions. I think Bungie sincerely wanted to make a game that lived up to those promises as well, but that they couldn't go through with it for whatever reason.

Or maybe they're just really, really bad at marketing. This kind of happened with the Halo games as well. Non-fans of the series have noted that the trailers and commercials are always way more cinematic and exciting than the game itself.

I don't know for sure. I do know that I am far from the only one to have drawn conclusions about the game based on Bungie's marketing, only to be let down by the finished product. Take from that what you will. Maybe that simply means that everyone read too much into Bungie's early comments, but then there is still a problem because Bungie failed at communicating. No matter how you slice it, there was a major failure of communication.

It feels small.

Ooh, I have to completely disagree there. It feels large--the locations are big, and more importantly, quite visually distinct.

The locations are physically large, but they are also mostly hollow. What can you actually do in Patrol mode? The same five basic mission types and no meaningful exploration.

Really? What other "standard FPS" game has this much content? It feels like it has more than Reach and I always thought Reach had a lot of content. Stories, Competitive MP, Strikes, the Tower, the Raid, explore, bounties, etc...

Story = campaign. Destiny's is short and void of story. Like most FPS games.
Competitive = competitive. Destiny's offers a similar variety of maps and modes compared to most FPS games.
Strikes = Firefight / Horde. Like most FPS games.
Tower and the Raid are unique.
Bounties are just challenges. They're "fake content" - permutations of existing categories.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread