Continuing Cursor UI Issues (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, September 27, 2014, 13:50 (3504 days ago) @ General Vagueness

The cursor UI is still finicky, and that means it's still frustrating.
I know Agdtinman said when I brought it up before that Bungie was happy with the cursor UI (by the way, I appreciate at least knowing my issues were seen and getting a reply), but I didn't rule out some improvement, and he admitted problems with it, and those don't seem to be fixed. Having an item be selected if it's only thing under the cursor, even if it's only under a little bit of the cursor, doesn't happen. Having an item selected if the cursor is more over it than another item it's also over seems to happen but it feels finicky, and I'd still like a better shape than a circle for the cursor or for crosshairs or something to be added. In fact it already has a circle inside it that's divided into quarters, they could just make the gaps line up with up, down, left, and right or be arranged in an X shape and have that circle not spin and it would be somewhat helpful. (I really have no idea why it spins, it doesn't fit the fantasy theme and it doesn't feel futuristic at all, cursors like that have been around for literally decades.) There was an issue mentioned of the cursor being more slippery in 4:3, and I can't tell if that's been fixed. I was really, really hoping for the speed and maybe even the acceleration to be adjustable (I didn't really expect it, because of the comment about them being happy with it, but I had some hope).
The problems, to be specific, are that I overshoot things, and that it's frustratingly slow. The fact both of those things are problems even though they're in opposition to each other is my biggest support for ditching the cursor-- I'm increasingly inclined to be believe you cannot make a thumbstick-controlled cursor UI that is both fast and fluid.
A lesser but related issue is that having to move the cursor to see some things is annoying to me, whether it's by going in one direction or by hovering on something or in the case of the "Gear" screen/sub-screen actually selecting something.
To be fair, I don't seem to be having quite as many problems with it as I did for most of the beta. I suspect this is because I've gotten used to it, about as much as I can. All the issues are still there, though.
I've also noticed, in the beta and more so now, that the problems are magnified when I try to change weapons in a hurry, so I have the right weapon for an enemy or group of enemies that are attacking me. The panic makes it more clunky, which makes me more panicked, and it feeds back until I get the cursor to stop on the right weapon and then press A and then Start, by which time I hopefully haven't died. You could argue I should pick the right weapon beforehand, but it's very possible to be surprised by what enemies show up, and since I'm still not done with the story or most of the strikes the map geometry can surprise me too.
(Also, I don't know if this is related to the cursor setup, but in Crucible it always seems to take 3-5 seconds or more for weapons to show up in the inventory screen, making it really suck to swap weapons unless you're waiting to respawn.)
I realize some people are having no problems with this. I am, and I can't be the only one.
I get that Bungie's whole thing is making games they want to play, and this must be part of that, and I respect that. This element is not something that I want to deal with, and knowing the people that made it like it-- or anyone, for that matter-- doesn't stop it from being frustrating and just not fun to use.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread