thoughts on Destiny and a busy life (Destiny)

by Oholiab @, Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 21:23 (3515 days ago) @ serpx

I'm in the same boat. Life is busy, and I don't have time to play every day. According to my companion app, I've played 23h 45m since the game came out, and I am at level 21. My progress may not be a good baseline because I've spent most of that time playing with my kids, and they usually enjoy just roaming around and shooting on Patrol. And really, who doesn't enjoy that?

My point is that I haven't done a lot of the high-level reward activities, and I think my Legend reflects that: I have only a couple pieces of "rare" armor and no legendary/exotic armor. I have a few motes of light and some Vanguard marks (currency used to purchase better gear), but I'm a long way from obtaining anything of real excitement.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I won't get the coolest gear and will never go on a raid. Likewise, community events like the Queen's Wrath are just not going to last long enough for me to gain anything by participating.

Is Destiny the best game for a player like myself? Probably not, and there's a part of me that feels alienated and disappointed - like I'm missing out on the best part of the game (although if the best part of the game is simply leveling up my gear, it's assuredly not the game for me) But I still enjoy blasting head shots with my "uncommon" hand cannon, and I like the various activities. I think that is one thing Destiny does well: giving you a lot of options (once you reach level 18, even more so) for spending an hour enjoying Bungie's 30 seconds of fun.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread