I love all of these! (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 10:59 (3504 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I would probably take anything with any kind of story behind it at this point. It just seems like there was zero effort put into the current patrol missions.

That's one thing I've been meaning to say that I like about what they did, actually, there is some story to some of them. For example there's a scanning mission that tells you go to an object in Old Russia and scan it because it held fuel in the golden age and someone (I think it was the Future War Cult) wants to know more about how that setup worked. It's in the Refinery so maybe you could've guessed what it was, but it didn't look like a fuel container to me, and regardless it adds at least a little significance to what otherwise would've been a random piece of cover. That last part addresses something that I've wanted to see in games for a long time, giving some more context or meaning to places and objects other than what's vital without going into ancillary fiction. Maybe that's standard for RPGs, I haven't played a lot of them.
Of course most patrol missions don't give you that, and I will say a lot get bland after a while, but I do also like the ones where you have to go clear out a set group of enemies, because they often are different enemies than you would usually find there, which helps the sense of the world being alive and fluid.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread