People are having their vault storage erased (Destiny)

by petetheduck, Monday, November 03, 2014, 07:38 (3472 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Destiny needs to protect player's progression.

Yes, but the best video games are one in which player progression involves your skill improving and your brain changing. The huge majority of my progression in Halo is not saved on a server or hard disk, but in the neural pathways in my brain. So as long as I have that, I always have my progression (and if you lose your brain, you have bigger problems).

That's why I like the Vault of Glass so much. We're now running it 5 hours faster than our first attempt; the task of learning the encounters and executing more efficiently is rewarding as a player.

Loot is great and all, but Destiny's way of loot distribution is garbage. DeeJ was telling us pre-launch how, if someone saw a gun we had, we could tell them--no, we could bring them in to our party and go do a task and acquire that gun.

I can't think of any gun other than the Stranger's pulse rifle that fits that description.

If I lost all progress but knew which handful of guns I loved and I knew what I needed to do to get them; this Strike, that mission--then it would not be a big deal. But it's all random. Sure, that can be a design choice, but then you need to prevent Vault glitches and you need to create better character protection. I'M not going to delete my character, but outside of password locking my entire gamertag, what protection do I have?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread