Follow up question (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, January 23, 2015, 15:40 (3352 days ago) @ petetheduck

Thanks a lot, Pete. Appreciate you taking the time to go over it.

A follow-up question for you (and anyone else reading this):

I'm having a tough time with the final portion of the guide (everything after the jump puzzle). I'm torn as to how to approach it. On the one hand, it would be far simpler and easier to follow if I write a step-by-step guide, detailing a specific strategy, and that's it.
Faster to read, easier to understand.

What pulled me away from this is my experience playing with 1st time raiders. We'd give specific instructions: go here, shoot that, then run over here. But as soon as anything happened that wasn't part of the plan, they were lost. There was a lot of "I don't understand what just happened" because they didn't know why they were doing anything.

So my hope is that by explaining the mechanics behind the encounter, readers will understand what they're doing better. That way they'll be able to improvise and adjust when they need to.

BUT... I've clearly not done a good enough job explaining that section of the raid. Even I get confused when I read it lol.

All that being said, am I way off? Would it just be better to give basic step by step directions and skip the more general explanations?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread