Difficulty scaling and end of level bosses

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, April 01, 2013, 05:36 (4015 days ago) @ Mr Danger

Haha, Happy First Post!! Welcome to the conversation. :)

Personally, I'm a fan of boss fights. Bear in mind, the idea of space combat has been thrown around quite a bit, and judging from a lot of the technological and gameplay aspects from recent Bungie games (Reach's Long Night of Solace in particular), boss fights in all probability will be present, and could just as likely include strafing leviathan starships as battling massive creatures or particularly fearsome squads of enemies/vehicles on the ground.

We've already seen Bungie do massive creatures (the Gúta in Reach) as well as the Scarab battles in Halo 3, so we know they've got a bit of recent experience playing with that dynamic. I don't think a boss fight necessarily needs to break the general rules of a game's gameplay formula. It's probably unavoidable in this type of format. Chances are pretty good that we'll see a fair amount of wildlife or otherwise non-affiliated enemies appear in random mobs and such, but limiting the entire gamut of combat experiences to varying groups of standard enemies? I dunno.

Nothing quite like throwing your all at an enemy much bigger or more powerful than you, and having to trust your teammates to be right there in the thick of it with you.

Matter of fact, I can't think of a situation that "Be brave" fits better.

~M

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread