Breaking down Destiny's 7 Worlds

by Axelrod vK, NC, USA, Thursday, April 04, 2013, 12:16 (4011 days ago)

Hello all, 1st time poster. While rewatching the GDC panel, I came across an interesting line. Talking about the amount of concept art they created (21:30ish), and how it was more than any of their previous games combined, they said it was 'enough to build 7 worlds'. I originally brushed it off because of how it was said, but Bungie seems to have been hiding obvious clues about important game features right in front of our noses. So, on the second viewing I was forced to think about that line more. It wouldn't be unlike Bungie to have 7 'worlds', or planets (and moons, I know...); at least on the initial release. So, I know its all old or speculated, but I will break down the '7 worlds' for mostly organizational purposes for my brain.

1) Mercury (?)
This is a guess, since it is a nice terrestrial body not too far from Earth. Very similar to Earth's moon (Luna), many craters. Hot, but not as hot as (present day) Venus. Imagine the views of our sun (Sol) from Mercury!

2) Venus
Covered in acidic clouds, an extreme case of greenhouse gases makes Venus the hottest planet. Who's to say there arent lush jungles and oceans of some liquid underneath those clouds? Maybe science, but maybe Venus has been terraformed in this universe to habitate.
There are huge industrial-type ruins, maybe human mining or processing plants that were abandoned. The Vex are known to be on Venus, and the Citadel is located in a jungle, and is the main or major base for them.

3) Earth
Duh, from Old Chicago to Mumbai Push, I hope the Earth is ours to explore. Maybe a mutated geography, where coastal cities are underwater or paved completely flat. I cannot wait to fly off of Earth then turn around.
A concept piece showed a Fallen-esque mech walker in an Earth city covered in snow, so maybe Fallen confirmed on Earth.

4) Luna
Earth's moon, we have seen the concept art, we know how the landscapes will look. Earthrises will be epic.
Hellmouth(s) is interesting, I was not able to draw any direct comparision to any alien rae. Maybe it is an evil human?

5) Mars
My favorite planet besides my homeworld, the Red Planet will be the first I fly to if given the chance. Huge, rocky or sandy deserts await. Concept art showed very little evidence of terraforming, but huge manmade stations for either living, work, or research seem to litter the landscape. Very Doom-y
The sand-eaters (racist!), or Cabal, inhabit Mars. By the heavy look of them, I expect that they have fortified large bases rather than use our abandoned ones. Their giant rollers are sure to flatten me many times if they are included.
Maybe some action at the poles, where snow could be found.

6) Europa
An icy moon of Jupiter, thought to have a mile thick ice crust, and possibly a water ocean underneath. What look like science stations poke out of blizzard-frozen snow wastelands. Most likely the Fallen and their warm cloaks own this moon.

7) Io (?)
Wild guess, nothing more. Since our remaining planets are gaseous with no usable terrain, only a cloud city-type space station would be able to utilize a Saturn or Neptune, but that sounds more like a side quest type thing. Io is a volcaneous hot-spot, and would be an epic planet to explore. (Also would be a perfect foil to Europa's coldiness).
My guess is the Glimmer will be tied in to this, the concept art of the black pyramids had a huge planet in the background and perhaps they are like a later-level enemy.

What do you think? There are hundreds of moons around Jupiter and Saturn, so we can't really know. There will be other locations too most likely, space stations, asteriods, moons, and i also could be very wrong. Where would YOU like to go?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread