Breaking down Destiny's 7 Worlds

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, April 28, 2013, 23:00 (4008 days ago) @ Axelrod vK

Hello all, 1st time poster. While rewatching the GDC panel, I came across an interesting line. Talking about the amount of concept art they created (21:30ish), and how it was more than any of their previous games combined, they said it was 'enough to build 7 worlds'. I originally brushed it off because of how it was said, but Bungie seems to have been hiding obvious clues about important game features right in front of our noses. So, on the second viewing I was forced to think about that line more. It wouldn't be unlike Bungie to have 7 'worlds', or planets (and moons, I know...); at least on the initial release. So, I know its all old or speculated, but I will break down the '7 worlds' for mostly organizational purposes for my brain.

nice catch

3) Earth
Duh, from Old Chicago to Mumbai Push, I hope the Earth is ours to explore. Maybe a mutated geography, where coastal cities are underwater or paved completely flat. I cannot wait to fly off of Earth then turn around.

so many good opportunities for easter egss...

5) Mars
My favorite planet besides my homeworld, the Red Planet will be the first I fly to if given the chance. Huge, rocky or sandy deserts await. Concept art showed very little evidence of terraforming, but huge manmade stations for either living, work, or research seem to litter the landscape. Very Doom-y

hmm, another opportunity there

7) Io (?)
Wild guess, nothing more. Since our remaining planets are gaseous with no usable terrain, only a cloud city-type space station would be able to utilize a Saturn or Neptune, but that sounds more like a side quest type thing. Io is a volcaneous hot-spot, and would be an epic planet to explore. (Also would be a perfect foil to Europa's coldiness).

Io is so volcanic its entire surface is replaced (IIRC) every month, building anything there would be pointless, and even going there for more than, IDK, an hour or two seems like a bad and kind of pointless idea... unless you can calm down the moon. That would almost definitely mean moving into a different orbit-- the tidal forces of Jupiter, the gravity pulling unevenly on different areas and causing stress and friction, are what make it so hot and active.

What do you think? There are hundreds of moons around Jupiter and Saturn, so we can't really know. There will be other locations too most likely, space stations, asteriods, moons, and i also could be very wrong. Where would YOU like to go?

I think Titan is a good candidate. It orbits Saturn; it's the largest moon in the solar system, larger than Pluto and all the known objects like it, larger than our Moon, IIRC it's even larger than Mercury; it has an atmosphere, and a fairly substantial one.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread