Soap Box Moment

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 12:27 (4036 days ago) @ Jillybean

Interesting idea - do male gamers shy away from emotional investment? I feel like there's a joke in there somewhere.

Being a guy gamer, my favorite games, or any other form of storytelling, are those that move me to be emotionally invested while providing me with awesomeness, whether that be explosions or fighting or intelligent storytelling or space tigers. Those are the games/books/movies that really stick with me and that I end up treasuring.

I mentioned this on Kotaku at one point and one commenter said no male gamer wants to protect anything....

If that is really how that guy feels, he hasn't reached any sort of manly maturity. IMO, being a protector is essential to being a man, or an adult for that matter. Just ask any good parent.
That the gaming community is full of immature man-boys is no secret. But they aren't the whole population of male gamers. One need only look at the forum here, like Mid7night's new dad status, or see the awesome things that Bungie does for charity, to realize that.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread