“I don't want to play a game that makes me cry!”

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 20:25 (4036 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is easy. Because you don't want them to.

Don't believe me? Conventional wisdom says it's the publishers who are adverse to taking risks, and if indie games just had funding then all would be well. Okay, so look at kickstarter. Get your game funded on kickstarter, and you can do anything you want.

So where are all the amazing, emotional innovative games coming from kickstarter that are being heaped with money from fans demanding quality emotional engagement? Oh there are none? What's getting funded? RETRO GAMES.

You all had your chance, but chose to fund games that not only do not innovate, but actually go backward.

Are we looking at different Kickstarters? I see plenty of original games on Kickstarter, and have contributed to as many as I believe look worthwhile as I can. Some of them are retro in style but they are innovative in gameplay, story, or sometimes even controls. This is mostly because they are still indie studios that they have retro looks, not because they don't have either skills necessarily.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread