I've got to play it twice… *OT*

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, April 07, 2013, 11:32 (4008 days ago)

I've just recently become aware of a strange issue between me and video games, and I wondered if anybody here felt the same way. My issue is: I don't really appreciate a game until I've played through it twice. Or at least started on a second play through. Recent examples include Alan Wake, Arkham City, Mass Effect 3, Dishonored, Halo 4, Tomb Raider, and extremely recently BioShock Infinite. And it's not just a story perspective. You almost have to play Alan Wake and BioShock twice to fully take in everything the game is telling you. But it's also a gameplay thing for me. I'll have an ok level of fun playing through a new game, but coming right back to it for a second play through give me a lot more enjoyment. Not only do I see the story in a different light, but I am much more competent with the game's mechanics, how the weapons and powers work, where I can and can't hide, etc. I think it maybe has something do with not having to figure the game out, and not having the frustration of dying in an unfamiliar situation. On the second play through I can play and experiment more fully because I know the area, the enemies, and the weapons… I think.

As an actual example I was not all that happy with Tomb Raider on my first play through. I thought it had too many enemy attacking me in some parts. But on my second play through I had a blast because I knew which gun upgrades I liked, and how to dodge enemies or stun them for instant kills more effectively. When I was done with my second play through I was thrilled with the game and am a sad to that it is selling well, but perhaps not "well enough" because it deserves a sequel.

So how about you? Do you like to play a game twice? Am I just a terrible player who can't figure out how to use the guns and environment to my advantage the first time around? Or both?!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread