Not that excited for the PS4 presentation

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, May 24, 2013, 22:20 (3961 days ago) @ electricpirate

As someone who's very excited about destiny, that subject probably sounds weird, hear me out though.

I figure Bungie will have 5-10 minutes to play and talk about the game. That means, jamming the max amount of "WOW" in a short period of time. 10 minutes of concentrated blockbuster if you will. Most of these demons follow a pretty similar path, a slow paced introduction, everything goes crazy, big set piece to end it.

It should all be very fun to watch, and I'm sure I'll grab a video and watchit a couple of times. Thing is, I trust Bungie can pull that stuff off. This is familar territory to me. I've seen them pull off the shooty bits very well in 5 different halo games (well, Halo 2's campaign might be a bit of a stretch ;)). I have a feeling the PS4 demo will look like fun shooting in a gorgeous world. That's okay! I'm sure that's what lots of people want to see.

What I'm really curious about are what Bungie is doing to the "Shared" parts of this shared world shooter. How will the economy work? How is content segmented? Is it a WoW like rollercoaster, or do player interactions have real consequences? How does crafting work? A 10 minute demo during a platform holder's conference is a lousy place to go into those things, so Hopefully we'll start to get more of a sense of these things in the previews and interviews that follow.

I definitely understand the concern, but in Bungie's own words “I think when we show it, it’s going to speak for itself, it sort of has to speak for itself at E3." To me that means they have to sell the experience, and the experience is not JUST the awesome shooting, it's justifying calling it a Shared World Shooter, and selling the idea of this living expansive world. If all it is is great FPS action I think I and several other fans will be sorely disappointed.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread