New TTK Gameplay trailer (moar Zeppelin!) (Destiny)

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, August 31, 2015, 16:20 (3212 days ago)

I love this

I get to be an astronaut?

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, August 31, 2015, 16:24 (3212 days ago) @ JDQuackers

[image]

First CQB, Recon, and Mk.V, now Security helmet?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, August 31, 2015, 16:32 (3212 days ago) @ CyberKN

Bungie, you m-m-make me- Haaaappyyyy...

What's the mk. V helmet?

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, August 31, 2015, 16:34 (3212 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

What's the mk. V helmet?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, August 31, 2015, 18:21 (3212 days ago) @ CyberKN

I think you're reaching a bit there.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, August 31, 2015, 18:22 (3212 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

I disagree...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, August 31, 2015, 19:03 (3212 days ago) @ CyberKN

I think the influences are fairly obvious. Even the way the green shader gives you a gold visor. And how many Hunter helmets even have a visor?
Obviously they can't recreate the helmet to be identical, but to say it's purely unrelated coincidence? Well...

[image]
[image]

You're missing a pretty key detail there, sport.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, August 31, 2015, 19:46 (3212 days ago) @ Korny

[image]

If anything, it looks like the Mark 6

by Funkmon @, Monday, August 31, 2015, 20:02 (3212 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Did Zeppelin suddenly become public domain?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, August 31, 2015, 16:31 (3212 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Not complaining, hell, far from it, but I've noticed a rising resurgence of Led Zeppelin both in commercials and common radio stations. Weren't the rights closely held by someone up until recently?

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, August 31, 2015, 16:49 (3212 days ago) @ ZackDark

I blame Cadillac.

Not that I mind much. I LOVE Love love Led Zeppelin.

Semi-relevant link

by marmot 1333 @, Monday, August 31, 2015, 16:55 (3212 days ago) @ ZackDark

relevant adweek article

This article claims Activision paid $750K for Immigrant Song. My love for Immigrant Song is deep and abiding, but that... seems steep.

Personally I'm not really into the song they chose for this trailer. The vocals actually made it hard to hear the dialog. It also just seems like the wrong feel--I guess they were trying to make it more "fun" and lighthearted instead of dark and scary?

Semi-relevant link

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, August 31, 2015, 17:26 (3212 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Personally I'm not really into the song they chose for this trailer. The vocals actually made it hard to hear the dialog. It also just seems like the wrong feel--I guess they were trying to make it more "fun" and lighthearted instead of dark and scary?

There was only 1 spot where vocals were overlapping dialog, it was at the end where Mara Sov (The Queen) said, "It is all up to you now." Every other piece of dialog had the the song (Black Dog) muted.

Not really into that song they chose they chose for the trailer? Meaning, the song or the combination of it & the trailer? BTW, you're wrong. ;-) Whenever 2 things I'm a 'blind' fanboy over come together it's the greatest thing ever, and this is one of them. :-D

Edit: Adding more winks and smilies to make it clear offense is not intended and I'm just joking, but you're still wrong. :) ;) :)
Edit2: And so is Cody (#CodyIsWrong)

Semi-relevant link

by marmot 1333 @, Monday, August 31, 2015, 17:29 (3212 days ago) @ dogcow

This will probably be sacrilege to you, but yeah, I've never been that into Black Dog.

But moreover, the feel of the song and the feel of the trailer just didn't mesh for me. But I'm wrong :)

Semi-relevant link

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, August 31, 2015, 17:32 (3212 days ago) @ marmot 1333

This will probably be sacrilege to you, but yeah, I've never been that into Black Dog.

But moreover, the feel of the song and the feel of the trailer just didn't mesh for me. But I'm wrong :)

This is also why it is very dangerous to use popular music in visual media. People are going to take in their preconceived notions about the song in with them. Good or bad. 98% of the time it's better to write something specific for the piece.

Semi-relevant link

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, August 31, 2015, 17:44 (3212 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is also why it is very dangerous to use popular music in visual media. People are going to take in their preconceived notions about the song in with them. Good or bad. 98% of the time it's better to write something specific for the piece.

The Immigrant Song definitely worked in the Live Action Trailer, it fit into the narrative in multiple ways. I will admit that Black Dog doesn't fit as well in this one, but I still love it. An amazing song that has a lot of "Rock" to it being used as a backdrop for what you'll be doing in TTK. I can totally see why they chose it. It got my blood pumping. It worked for me, but I can see what you & marmot are saying. The feel of TTK seems more brooding than rocking.

Makes me wonder if they're starting a tradition, a Zeppelin song with each new year of destiny.

Semi-relevant link

by DreadPirateWes, Monday, August 31, 2015, 19:00 (3212 days ago) @ dogcow

Love Zeppelin. This choice didn't work for me. I think it was the interrupting of the song with the bomb crescendos that ruined it.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, August 31, 2015, 20:05 (3212 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

Love Zeppelin. This choice didn't work for me. I think it was the interrupting of the song with the bomb crescendos that ruined it.

When Oryx slammed his sword down & the music stopped, that was jarring. I wish they had just let that next chord play out, it's a great bit of that song. In fact, each time they halted the song they should have just let the next guitar chord play & fade out to crossover to the next part of the song (IMHO, I don't edit video).

Specifically:
at 0:24, when Oryx slams his sword down, they cut off the resolving chord, leaving you hanging & uncomfortable.
at 0:41, when the warlock does his lightning thing and Oryx appears again, they cut off the 3rd chord, not letting it resolve again.
finally at 0:58, they cut it off for Cayde's line "Send in the cavalry" wasn't quite as bad, but still... could have been less jarring.

I suspect the removeal of ... "musical cartharsis/resolution of the chord progression" (I don't know the correct music theory term) when Oryx appears was done intentionally. I don't think it improved it, but I can see why they'd do it. I don't know what's up w/ the Cayde pause, other than maybe they wanted to highlight his line which I don't think was necessary.

It seemed to me the theme was Guardians rocking the universe, which worked for me, I didn't like how they screwed with the song. I still love the trailer though, flaws and all.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, August 31, 2015, 17:13 (3212 days ago) @ ZackDark

Not complaining,

I would. That wasn't a good choice at all for music. Completely wrong tone wise.

Agreed.

by Funkmon @, Monday, August 31, 2015, 17:37 (3212 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But, if they are trying to establish a thing where they're the video game with the Zeppelin music then whatever. They should definitely have picked a different song, though.

Agreed.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, August 31, 2015, 18:04 (3212 days ago) @ Funkmon

But, if they are trying to establish a thing where they're the video game with the Zeppelin music then whatever. They should definitely have picked a different song, though.

What would have been better I wonder...

Good Times, Bad Times
Dazed & Confused
No, I got it! It should have been, "Nobody's Fault But Mine." Who's fault is it that Oryx is showing up? Yours, Guardian.

Ok, really I'm not sure what would have been a better choice.

I was going to say...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, August 31, 2015, 17:44 (3212 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I liked last year's live action trailer with the Zeppelin music. It captured the feeling of dashing around the galaxy, shooting monsters with your friends. It was light-hearted and fun. It worked because they had another trailer that focused on the epic space-opera angle, with intense gameplay and dramatic music.

This trailer feels like they took both approaches and smashed them together, which doesn't fit at all IMO.

That being said, the game itself looks totally rad :)

the music didn't fit the trailer at all

by peaksutah, Monday, August 31, 2015, 17:48 (3212 days ago) @ Cody Miller

And I'm a huge Zeppelin fan.

I'm going to try and track down some proper music to replace the classic rock.

Use this one.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, August 31, 2015, 17:49 (3212 days ago) @ peaksutah

I dare you.

Use this one.

by peaksutah, Monday, August 31, 2015, 17:53 (3212 days ago) @ iconicbanana

You're close. I'm thinking maybe something with a bit more McCartney. ;)

I would have used this...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, August 31, 2015, 22:35 (3212 days ago) @ peaksutah

A little more fitting to the tone of the story.

If you're talking about the lyrics, I don't mind at all

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, August 31, 2015, 18:44 (3212 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Not having English as my native language, I usually completely ignore the meaning of the lyrics and just enjoy the sounds it makes. I call it "music mode".

As a somewhat good English speaker, I can sometimes do that with music in my own language too. It helps a lot, considering how cringe-worthy some of our lyrics are.

Yeah, that was really weird

by Kahzgul, Monday, August 31, 2015, 20:49 (3212 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm pretty sure someone in marketing who has never played the game got a boner for that song, and someone else in production who has never met or heard of the marketing guy picked all of the clips they could use, and some poor guy at a trailer house got the files and then stabbed himself in the ears, resulting in this commercial being edited purely based on where the drum beats were in a visual timeline.

At least up until the ear stabbing, I'm 90% certain that's how it went down.

my favorite rock song turned into a commercial is...

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, August 31, 2015, 18:43 (3212 days ago) @ ZackDark

I still like the Zeppelin songs as they provide a nice feel to the trailers. They just make you want to go have fun playing the games.

NS:U2 flashbacks

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, August 31, 2015, 18:48 (3212 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

Not quite a "commercial"...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, August 31, 2015, 18:54 (3212 days ago) @ unoudid

... but easily the best song every written about Batman Forever ;p

You're way off.

by Funkmon @, Monday, August 31, 2015, 20:05 (3212 days ago) @ unoudid

... (moar Zeppelin!) Bungie understands me.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, August 31, 2015, 16:46 (3212 days ago) @ JDQuackers

- No text -

M1887 reload twirl for The Chaperone reload animation (0:52)

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Monday, August 31, 2015, 16:55 (3212 days ago) @ JDQuackers

- No text -

Oryx Ass Hat... Confirmed??

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Monday, August 31, 2015, 17:30 (3212 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Anyone else notice this very odd helmet on a Guardian?

[image]

[image]

I mean it looks like a Hive's ass fashioned into a helmet..

by Kuga, Monday, August 31, 2015, 18:36 (3212 days ago) @ Doooskey

Based on the second image, I dont believe one could see anything out of that scope aside from that thick rimmed ring around the stock.

It almost looks like a stale Cheesehead helmet. "A relic from ages ago where man watched fellow man compete in pads with an egg shaped ball in a land of cheese and honey known as Wisconsin. It was a different time."

cheese hat +7

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, August 31, 2015, 19:37 (3212 days ago) @ Kuga

- No text -

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Monday, August 31, 2015, 20:54 (3212 days ago) @ Kuga

It does look a bit like a stale cheese hat...

never mind this!

by Raflection, Monday, August 31, 2015, 19:12 (3212 days ago) @ Doooskey

0:33 holographic hunter cloak!!?????

HHHHNNNNNGGGG

never mind this!

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, August 31, 2015, 19:47 (3212 days ago) @ Raflection

I keep forgetting you Xbox people haven't played the Psion Flayer strike.

kindly explain yourself sir

by Raflection, Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 04:24 (3212 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

kindly explain yourself sir

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 14:16 (3211 days ago) @ Raflection

That hunter cloak is a dead-ringer for the ones the Psion Flayer Enemies are wearing in the "Dust Palace" PS4-exclusive strike. Last week, Bungie revealed that going forward, Each different Strike would grant different trophy-themed gear, inspired by the Strike's enemies and theme.

Since we know that the (formerly) PS4-exclusive strikes are getting Taken-ified "Remixes" in TTK, it stands to reason that this cloak could drop from the new variant of the Dust Palace strike.

Talk about disjointed

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, August 31, 2015, 19:41 (3212 days ago) @ JDQuackers

I already tweeted about it, but I did not like that trailer. The visuals were fun l and I liked finding cool things in there, but the music completely wrecked it for me:

Wow, I do *not* like the music in The Taken King Launch Trailer. Seems completely out of place and inappropriate.

It brings too much levity to what’s supposed to be impending doom. I just don’t feel like there’s any danger from Oryx with that trailer.

Like breitzen said in a Twitter reply, this feels more like an Activision trailer than a Bungie-produced one. Mixing our "real" universe with the game universe just feels weird and inappropriate.

Where I'm a hypocrite

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, August 31, 2015, 19:47 (3212 days ago) @ Beorn

Regarding the mixing of universes, I thought it really worked for The Law of the Jungle trailer back before launch. I thought that was fantastic, but that's also because it tied itself well to the Destiny universe and provided an insight into who our Guardians are and what values they held.

I don't think the music does the same thing at all.

Dangit. You beat me to calling you a hypocrite...

by Earendil, Monday, August 31, 2015, 19:59 (3212 days ago) @ Beorn

Regarding the mixing of universes, I thought it really worked for The Law of the Jungle trailer back before launch. I thought that was fantastic, but that's also because it tied itself well to the Destiny universe and provided an insight into who our Guardians are and what values they held.

While I have the same reaction as you to both trailers, I think the music is actually supposed to do something completely different: make the game feel light and fun. The story may be ominous and brooding, but the game play is filled with friends laughing with each other. Now, there was obvious comradery in the prelaunch film which is not shown here, so it seems less obvious. But I bet you the music was chosen to convey game play emotion and not story emotion. Given that the trailers to date have focused on story and not gameplay, I don't think the trailer is completely uncalled for.

Guardians rocking the solar system.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, August 31, 2015, 20:10 (3212 days ago) @ Earendil

While I have the same reaction as you to both trailers, I think the music is actually supposed to do something completely different: make the game feel light and fun. The story may be ominous and brooding, but the game play is filled with friends laughing with each other. Now, there was obvious comradery in the prelaunch film which is not shown here, so it seems less obvious. But I bet you the music was chosen to convey game play emotion and not story emotion. Given that the trailers to date have focused on story and not gameplay, I don't think the trailer is completely uncalled for.

I agree! Like I said here, it was meant to give the feeling of you rocking the solar system with your guardian and buddies.

This is how I feel about this trailer

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, August 31, 2015, 22:39 (3212 days ago) @ Earendil

We already had a brooding/dramatic/ominous trailer that "highlights" the story. This isn't it. This is a "action-packed"/adrenaline-fueled/rock-out trailer that highlights the intensity of the gameplay (oddly by using a lot of cutscene material...).

I think this is where they messed up.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 14:52 (3211 days ago) @ Earendil

This feels like one OK story trailer and one fun gameplay trailer that somehow got smashed together. Jumping back and forth between the brooding narration of one and the rocking gameplay of the other was almost painful to sit through.

This is how the trailer feels:

Something dark is coming, Guardian.

Yeeaah! Killin' all the things!!!

You've drawn a terrible evil down upon our solar system.

Gunfire! Explosions!! SUPERS!!! YEEEAAAAHHH!!!!

No, seriously. This is probably the most terrifying thing our universe has ever seen.

Gonna rock out with my Glock out! Efff YEAAHHH!

Ooh! Check out Fillion being his awesome Fillion self!

It's all up to you now, Guardian.
God help us all.

Agreed

by Avateur @, Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 02:58 (3212 days ago) @ Beorn

Marty's gone. We get it. Did Bungie lose all ability to create its own wonderful music in the process?

Edit: I also haven't been a fan of really any trailer Bungie has put out post-launch, though. Like on all levels. Especially when they're trying to sell story in a game without one. I think that's hindering my ability to care about this trailer. Until I experience Taken King and can actually truly assess the alleged story stuff they've been saying is in it, I'm sort of just shrugging at it.

I feel like Bungie did this trailer 8 years ago, but better:

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 15:05 (3211 days ago) @ Beorn

Granted, this one had the advantage of Marty music.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread