I own both (Gaming)

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 06:24 (3171 days ago) @ narcogen

and the Xbone + Kinect is on a whole different level. My PS4 is simply a gaming system. The Xbone is TV, Netflix, Blueray, Radio, and Games (probably more). Not because PS4 can't do those things, but because my wife can use the xbone and not the PS4. She will simply never "get" controllers. But she gets talking to the Xbone. It's easy and intuitive and does all of the work for you. Plus, when you have your hands literally full because you're trying to feed a screaming baby, there is *nothing* better than being able to just tell the TV what channel to watch. It has become the gateway to our digital entertainment system. It controls all of the devices, turns them all on and off at once, changes the channel when we ask it to, records clips, pauses and unpauses movies, all with voice alone. Near as I can tell PS4 voice recognition is only good at displaying "your PS4 can't respond to voice commands right now" when I say something that is in no way related to asking the PS4 to do something.

Microsoft would be far better off selling a cheapo microphone and UR blast-only kinect instead of forcing the camera on everyone (which is still pretty wonky despite being a major hardware upgrade to the last kinect), but the experience of being able to talk to your system and not worry about which remote you need or how to teach someone new how to use it or where the menu functions are... it's really incredible.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread