Microsoft as the Prince of Wales

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, May 31, 2013, 11:49 (3955 days ago) @ Kermit

I may just be in a literary mood today, but the rumors that the new Mirror's Edge might be an exclusive makes me wonder if the lackluster reveal of the Xbox One (from a gaming perspective) is part of a larger strategy,* what I might call a Prince Hal strategy. For those of you unfamiliar with Shakespeare's histories, Prince Hal was something of a clown prince, a drunkard whose friends were thieves, whores, and other drunkards. Hal's lack of royal propriety greatly disappointed his father, the king, but Hal had a strategy. "My reformation, glittering o'er my fault, shall show more goodly, and attract more eyes than that which hath no foil to set it off."

Prince Hal would become the celebrated Henry V, and stun everyone because they expected so little of him. Perhaps it will be the same with the Xbox One.

Kermit

*I think it's unlikely that this is a conscious strategy on Microsoft's part, but it will be interesting if all the current disappointment actually helps Microsoft in the long run.

I definitely think you're right, Microsoft has already talked about how they are going to talk about gaming and only gaming at E3. Also they promised to answer the big questions everyone has. I have no idea if it was planned, but either way I think it's probably going to end up working out for them.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread