Biggest spoiler in twenty years? *Spoilers* (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 06:13 (3118 days ago)
edited by Ragashingo, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 06:29

Seriously, don't read this if you value mystery. I'm not gonna be held responsible if you do.

I've been reading through the Grimoire cards and came across a large collection of cards called the Book of Sorrow. Within it is the history of the Hive. They started as just a few members of one race on a gas giant with continents. They found some kind of advanced ship and were empowered and given immortality by some kind of worm gods and rose up to conquer their planet, then the 52 moons around their planet (the 53 was The Traveler and it fled) then hundreds and thousands of worlds. It was all a very interesting read that fit with what we knew from what little our Ghost told us in Destiny until I got to card XXXI: battle made waves.

Here the creature that eventually became Oryx goes to speak to The Deep, which is almost certainly The Darkness, and the source of the worm gods powers. Oryx says in greeting: "I can see you in the sky. You are the waves, which are battles, and the battles are the waves."

THIS IS HUGE.
Huge, because back in Marathon 2 we have:

In primordial space, timeless creatures
made waves. These waves created us and the
others. Waves were the battles, and the
battles were waves.
Fleeing all W'rkncacnter, Yrro and Pthia
settled upon Lh'owon. They brought the
S'pht, servants who began to shape the
deserts of Lh'owon into marsh and sea,
rivers and forests. They made sisters for
Lh'owon to protect and maintain the paradise.

When the W'rkncacnter came, Pthia was
killed, and Yrro in anger, flung the
W'rkncacnter into the sun. The sun burned
them, but they swam on its surface.

That sentence in the Grimoire was not an accident. It is very very likely that The Darkness is in fact a / the W'rkncacnter from Marathon. Making The Traveler Pthia? Seeing as The Traveler is a "dead god?"

To investigate this for yourself, start here.

I always wondered why the old Activision contract allowed for Bungie to remake Marathon in their spare time if Destiny was going good enough. Now we maybe know!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread