Your Character in the World of Destiny

by Reconcilliation @, Imagination Station, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 01:26 (3972 days ago)

Well, the only thing we’re saying right now is that this is you character in the world of Destiny.

For as long as that world exists you can be that person, we really want it to be in a situation that, yeah, the decisions that you make early on in the game, they matter and they stick with you and you really grow your character over time. That’s extremely important to us.

As much as we enjoyed switching back and forth between protagonists sometimes from the Master Chief to the Arbiter, an ODST, we’re even more excited about this world where you can be a real person.

You can make interesting choices and you can stick with this character over time.

You know it’s really important when you’re in a social shared world to have an identity that people recognise, that people can remember.

And not just for your friends, but for the people you meet out in the world. ‘Oh, that’s that Hunter with that crazy cloak and that amazing spaceship.

Is that a holographic sight on his sniper rifle, that’s crazy, where did he find that stuff? Who is that guy? I’ve seen him before, I’ve matched with him in public places, I see him in the city sometimes.’

You really are going to be identified by the choices you make, so it’s really important that your character sticks around for a long time.

- http://www.x360magazine.com/features/destiny-bungie-opens-the-floodgates-on-its-shared-world-shooter/

I'm a little disheartened to read this, although it is understandable from a technical point of view. When I think of what defines a particular character, a person I know, it's not the things they have that makes me recognize them, it's the things they've done.

I play a lot of roleplaying games, and loot has always just been loot. It is not your character, and it shouldn't be the sole definition of your character.

When I hear the words 'You really are are going to be identified by the choices you make' and the 'choices you make' are essentially boiled down to 'Oh, that's the hunter with the crazy cloak and that amazing spaceship' - that is not a character to me, it's material envy. Anyone else could have acquired that loot through simple time and effort, there's nothing special or defining about it.

For comparison: "Oh, that's the guy who lead the first assault on the Cabal leadership on Mars"; That is character development, take away that character's shiny spaceship and guns and he is still known for his actions.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread