Your Character in the World of Destiny

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 07:30 (3970 days ago) @ Reconcilliation

When I hear the words 'You really are are going to be identified by the choices you make' and the 'choices you make' are essentially boiled down to 'Oh, that's the hunter with the crazy cloak and that amazing spaceship' - that is not a character to me, it's material envy. Anyone else could have acquired that loot through simple time and effort, there's nothing special or defining about it.

For comparison: "Oh, that's the guy who lead the first assault on the Cabal leadership on Mars"; That is character development, take away that character's shiny spaceship and guns and he is still known for his actions.

To be fair, they could link those two ideas. You could get special loot for participating in special events. Say you get a a crazy cloak or an amazing spaceship for being part of the first assault on the Cabal leadership on Mars, then you could instantly recognize that person's accomplishment just by looking at them. Kind of like the commemorative decals construction workers can get for their helmets for working on specific projects.

I do agree that it would be nice to see more than that for your character though. For example, I think it would be cool if they had various in-universe themed publications/broadcasts talking about the valiant actions of players* now and again.

*Or, at the very least, the actions of clans.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread