Speaking of ... a comparison to Destiny (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 01:38 (3121 days ago) @ Kermit

I think it's pretty undisputed that Bungie is the king of making great "feeling" first person shooters. They just nail it.

I think 343i has done a good job in that respect with Halo, though.

About two weeks ago I played through ODST for the first time in years. It is definitely the best Bungie Halo in terms of "feel". It feels grounded in a way that the others don't. I haven't played Reach in years, as I no longer have a 360, so maybe that holds up even better.

I'm now currently a bit more than halfway through Halo 4, and it felt miles better than ODST in certain aspects, mainly player movement. Granted, it benefits from being more modern and having sprint, so it fits the feel of a modern shooter and what we're used to now. But the Spartans in Halo 4 seem to have a lot more weight to their movements, and it just feels right. So I'm confident 343i can (and probably did) get that right in Halo 5.

Some of the weapons weren't as satisfying (the AR feels puny, just because of the way it sounds, I think. In terms of damage output, I think the Halo 4 AR is the best it ever was). The M6C from ODST is still one of my favorite videogame firearms; it just feels so damn good to use. But some of 343i's weapons really stand out as satisfying for me (The DMR for one, the rail gun, and I personally loved all of the Forerunner weapons), so, again, I know it's something 343i can get right. I think the biggest detriment is some of their sound designs for human weapons isn't that great; some of those weapons just don't sound like they have any firepower, and that's like ninety percent of what makes a weapon fun for me.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread