A Question About A Disc (Gaming)

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, November 20, 2015, 20:16 (3088 days ago)

I bought a used game at a store(I'm not going to tell you the name of the game, lest I get bombarded with opinions and an epic thread derailment--I'll just say it's an Xbox game compatible with the 360), and it was one of those No-Refund type deals(Yes, I'm a sucker). Honestly, I was just happy to have it. Anyway, about two or three levels in, the disc freezes. I can only assume it's a scratch, since it's fairly old and pretty fairly used as well. So I go to a disc cleaning place and have it professionally cleaned. I bring it back home, and the level I was stuck on earlier now works fine....until the next level froze. Concerned, I took it back the next day and had it cleaned again. Surprisingly, the same thing happened--that level played smoothly and the next one froze up!

Ready for the twist? The disc was perfectly clean and scratch-less from the day I bought it.

I'm tempted to have the guy clean it 14 more times in a row for each remaining level(stupid, I know), but I found out there's another option. There's a new copy that's selling online for $70. So the reason I'm asking for some advice here is because I don't know if it's the disc giving me trouble, or something wrong with the console, since it's a Backwards game? If it's the disc, I can buy the new copy without worry, but if it's the console and I spend that amount of money I probably won't be able to get back, that would be really terrible!

How would I know which piece of the puzzle is at fault?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread