More E3 News

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 12:41 (3942 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

That's very interesting... in some ways, it opens the possibility to approach the game from a completely different angle: as a scavenger. I wonder if we'll see players who base their entire playstyle on stealthily following the action from a distance, staying close while avoiding attention? Very interesting indeed.

I concur. I understand that this is just an impression and all but I must say I would find this very surprising if true.

I'm going to reference history because its what instantly thought of when reading what Wu mentioned. It sums up the context of my concerns.

In Feudal Japan - after battle a Samurai would often need to bring a head to prove to the Lord he served that he (or she) had fought in battle so that they could be paid for the deed. After a time some Samurai got wise and would come to a battlefield after the fighting was at an end - cut off a head on a dead body - and go to get there reward.

This later resulted in the odd practices "Formal Head Viewing" to prove that the head cut off was indeed alive when it happened. *Ech*

The Point?: If this mechanic in Destiny is just based on a moment of participation in a event - then the "glory" of that event may risk being diluted by those who want the reward without the work.

That kind of oversight doesn't sound like Bungie to me, nor the type of game they want to make.

Polygon interviews Pete parsons

I'm intrigued by the "people watch" comment. I might enjoy doing that. But what's to keep me from stealing unearned loot?

It's a private loot stream, so it's impossible :).

I should have said getting unearned loot. No matter, I'm playing the game, right?

I asked about this, in a roundabout way (I think my question was more along the lines of "are loot drops after battles proportional to the work you did?") and while I didn't get an answer, I got the IMPRESSION that you get what you get just for being there. So yeah, watching is good.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread