E3 2017 | Microsoft (Gaming)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, June 11, 2017, 20:49 (2520 days ago)
edited by INSANEdrive, Sunday, June 11, 2017, 21:43

SO. Alot to unpack. Highlights (as I recall them):

Thoughts Anyone?

Edit: More stuffs

• Life is Strange: Before The Storm | First Episode In August
  • Crackdown 3 in November
  • PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds is coming to Xbox One
  • Assassin's Creed: Origins. Egypt.

Edit #2: Added Links & Embedded Anthem video.

Edit #3 Before lock out!: Middle-earth: Shadow of War. I spy with my little eye, character building! Bungie take note!

I'll post my full thoughts in a bit.

E3 2017 | Microsoft

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, June 11, 2017, 20:56 (2520 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Project Scorpio = Xbox One X | Nov 7th. | $499

Hard pass. Without good exclusive games, why would I need an Xbox when I already have a Playstation?

Show me something as good as Horizon: Zero Dawn, and then we can talk, MS. I love and miss playing Forza, and I'm sure I'll feel a little regret when Halo 6 launches next fall, but it's just not enough anymore.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I couldn't give two shits about 4K, so that does absolutely nothing for me. My money seems better spent on a Switch and Zelda, and I'll still have over $100 left over.

I was rooting for you, Microsoft--I was looking for a reason to get back on the Xbox platform, but you're just not giving me one.

E3 2017 | Microsoft

by Avateur @, Sunday, June 11, 2017, 21:03 (2520 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Agreed, sans PS4. I'll stick with my regular Xbox One and Switch. I see no reason worth buying the Xbonx.

bu-bu-bu...4K!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, June 11, 2017, 21:04 (2520 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

bu-bu-bu...4K!

by Avateur @, Sunday, June 11, 2017, 21:08 (2520 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Xbox One S can do UHD Blu-Ray and Netflix streaming at 4K for way cheaper. If I want my games at 4K resolutions, I'll stick to my PC. And even with my PC, 4K gaming doesn't concern me at this time. Hell, I don't even play Overwatch on max settings on my comp, and that's by choice.

bu-bu-bu...4K! /s <_<

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, June 11, 2017, 21:09 (2520 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

Destiny 2 PC 4k gameplay *Vid in link*

by Avateur @, Tuesday, June 13, 2017, 18:56 (2518 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by Avateur, Tuesday, June 13, 2017, 19:03

http://kotaku.com/here-s-destiny-2-running-at-60fps-on-pc-1796066938

Sorry Microsoft, but it's like I said, if I'm gaming 4k, it'll be on PC. That Destiny 2 looks quite nice. Probably still gonna stick with Xbox, but we'll see.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, June 13, 2017, 21:59 (2518 days ago) @ Avateur

Am I missing something? That video is only at 1080.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 13, 2017, 22:13 (2518 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Am I missing something? That video is only at 1080.

Youtube doesn't offer 4K playback in all places. I have no idea how to enable that on desktops. Maybe it's chrome only.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, June 13, 2017, 23:17 (2518 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Or my VPN fucking with me like usual. I often forget to check that.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 13, 2017, 23:29 (2518 days ago) @ cheapLEY

4K doesn't work on Safari, since 4K video on youtube uses VP9 exclusively, and Safari does not support that.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, June 13, 2017, 23:49 (2518 days ago) @ Cody Miller

4K doesn't work on Safari, since 4K video on youtube uses VP9 exclusively, and Safari does not support that.

I was on Chrome. I'll try to watch tomorrow without the VPN active to see if that was the issue. I'm back home now on a 3G cell connection, so it's not happening tonight.

E3 2017 | Microsoft

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Sunday, June 11, 2017, 23:59 (2520 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I was rooting for you, Microsoft--I was looking for a reason to get back on the Xbox platform, but you're just not giving me one.

What were you expecting/hoping for if not this? What would have gotten you to not "hard pass"?

Xbox One P: the new PlayStation.

by Funkmon @, Monday, June 12, 2017, 02:37 (2520 days ago) @ Vortech

- No text -

E3 2017 | Microsoft

by cheapLEY @, Monday, June 12, 2017, 11:36 (2519 days ago) @ Vortech

Exclusive games that look interesting. They had exactly zero of those besides Forza, which is a known quantity that I accounted for when I dropped Xbox in the first place.

Why not just get an S?

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, June 12, 2017, 14:25 (2519 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Hard pass. Without good exclusive games, why would I need an Xbox when I already have a Playstation?

Show me something as good as Horizon: Zero Dawn, and then we can talk, MS. I love and miss playing Forza, and I'm sure I'll feel a little regret when Halo 6 launches next fall, but it's just not enough anymore.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I couldn't give two shits about 4K, so that does absolutely nothing for me. My money seems better spent on a Switch and Zelda, and I'll still have over $100 left over.

If you don't need 4K, then the S should let you get a nice xbox one for $249. Also, MS did announce 22 exclusives though I didn't pay any attention to which ones were exclusive and it would entirely depend on what kinds of games you like I suppose.

Still waiting for b/c Halo games

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Sunday, June 11, 2017, 21:10 (2520 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Already on the 4K train - full speed ahead.

by DEEP_NNN, Sunday, June 11, 2017, 21:31 (2520 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I have a 4K UHD HDR and Wide Colour Gamut TV. Acquired just for XB1X release.

Not stopping now.

I expect the experience to be like going from regular movie theatres to IMAX. You won't know the difference until you're there.

I mock above, but to the techs credit, HDR is right legit.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, June 11, 2017, 21:33 (2520 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

- No text -

Waiting for Xbox One XXX console release date instead.

by BlackstarBSP, Sunday, June 11, 2017, 21:46 (2520 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

I am obsessed with HDR

by Kahzgul, Monday, June 12, 2017, 20:14 (2519 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

4K focus is harming gaming

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 11, 2017, 22:25 (2520 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

Consoles are a balance in pricing components.

4K is very hard in terms of graphics hardware. You have 4x as many pixels to render as 1080p. Meanwhile CPUs are being neglected. As Bungie has said, hitting 60fps for Des2ny isn't happening because of the CPU. Not the GPU. When we can't even reliably hit 1060p60 across the board, it makes no sense to jump to 4K.

We need more powerful CPUs in consoles, with a focus on 1080p. There is not a whole lot of difference here, and believe me I like to see things the best they can be. Do HDR but render at 1080p with better effects and shaders and whatnot. You will get so much more benefit, but the CPUs are holding people back.

I want to play 4k Dig Dug.

by Funkmon @, Monday, June 12, 2017, 00:12 (2520 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

agrred

by electricpirate @, Monday, June 12, 2017, 03:15 (2520 days ago) @ Cody Miller

4K is very hard in terms of graphics hardware. You have 4x as many pixels to render as 1080p. Meanwhile CPUs are being neglected. As Bungie has said, hitting 60fps for Des2ny isn't happening because of the CPU. Not the GPU. When we can't even reliably hit 1060p60 across the board, it makes no sense to jump to 4K.

We need more powerful CPUs in consoles, with a focus on 1080p. There is not a whole lot of difference here, and believe me I like to see things the best they can be. Do HDR but render at 1080p with better effects and shaders and whatnot. You will get so much more benefit, but the CPUs are holding people back.

6x jump in gpu power with a 30% jump in cpu power is nuts. especially since the cpus were bad to start with!

Not entirely convinced

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, June 12, 2017, 11:37 (2519 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Bungie has said that CPU power is holding Destiny back, but these days it's getting easier and easier to schedule tasks on the GPU. With additional GPU power and the advent of libraries that make programming GPUs for general purpose computing easier, it's entirely possible that they may be able to offload a lot from the CPU to the extra GPU hardware. Of course, that depends on how Bungie wrote their engine, and whether they are able to offload important work to the GPU or not.

4K focus is harming gaming + 1

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, June 12, 2017, 14:44 (2519 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm not saying I wouldn't like console games to hit higher resolutions eventually, but I agree with a lot of what you are saying. Console games still often struggle to perform well at 1080p. Developers are forced to make so many compromises even now... I don't see the push to hit 4K being an advancement that will be worthwhile. At least not for another few years.

Unfortunately, 4K is a great marketing buzz word that consumers can latch on to.

4K focus is harming gaming - I totally agree

by Kahzgul, Monday, June 12, 2017, 20:16 (2519 days ago) @ Cody Miller

There's no need for 4k. I don't even think there's a real want for 4k. People think they want it because it has a bigger number, but you just don't need that kind of fidelity in a screen that's six to twelve feet from your eyeballs. I'd much rather the money is being spent on more RAM and CPU performance than on simply more pixels.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 11, 2017, 22:45 (2520 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

I expect the experience to be like going from regular movie theatres to IMAX. You won't know the difference until you're there.

Not even close.

For one, regular cinema is still largely 2K. Imax is either projected film stock, or 8K minimum.

Second, the IMax screen is about 100 feet tall. A regular movie screen varies, but is not taller than about 20 feet at best. An IMax screen literally consumes your entire fucking cone of vision.

Your 4K TV is roughly the same size as a 1080p TV. The reason that regular cinema is still largely 2K, is that even on the big screen, 4K provides a rather small quality increase. If you sit very close it makes a difference. So on your TV, not so much.

I saw Interstellar on Imax film stock, and it looked so real I felt like I could reach out and touch it. 4K gaming won't be like that. Maybe if you have 4K projector or something.

I don't think 4K gaming is worth it yet, when resources can be spent elsewhere.

by DEEP_NNN, Monday, June 12, 2017, 01:25 (2520 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Not even close.

For one, regular cinema is still largely 2K. Imax is either projected film stock, or 8K minimum.

Second, the IMax screen is about 100 feet tall. A regular movie screen varies, but is not taller than about 20 feet at best. An IMax screen literally consumes your entire fucking cone of vision.

Your 4K TV is roughly the same size as a 1080p TV. The reason that regular cinema is still largely 2K, is that even on the big screen, 4K provides a rather small quality increase. If you sit very close it makes a difference. So on your TV, not so much.

I saw Interstellar on Imax film stock, and it looked so real I felt like I could reach out and touch it. 4K gaming won't be like that. Maybe if you have 4K projector or something.

I don't think 4K gaming is worth it yet, when resources can be spent elsewhere.

Sorry, I meant the comparison relative to the first time I saw IMAX back in the seventies or eighties. No K involved.

Don't forget, viewing distances for 4K TV can be closer than I'm not recommending anything that hurts your eyes though.

Also, 4K is no 3D fad. it's a thing that will last a bit longer.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 12, 2017, 01:54 (2520 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

Also, 4K is no 3D fad. it's a thing that will last a bit longer.

Yes, it is certainly the future. In film, 4K is quickly replacing 2K now as it becomes more manageable. But for video games, they can't even manage 1080p. We should not be pushing for 4K right now.

I prefer 30fps to 60fps.

by Funkmon @, Monday, June 12, 2017, 02:39 (2520 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So I run games at an Nvidia half refresh rate vsync thing. If I had a 4k thingy I would do the same.

Just when I thought you couldn't get weirder ;) <3

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, June 12, 2017, 21:15 (2519 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

I prefer 30fps to 60fps.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, June 12, 2017, 21:21 (2519 days ago) @ Funkmon

So I run games at an Nvidia half refresh rate vsync thing. If I had a 4k thingy I would do the same.

I do this too.

E3 2017 | Microsoft

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 11, 2017, 22:30 (2520 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by Cody Miller, Sunday, June 11, 2017, 22:36

[*]Life is Strange: Before The Storm | First Episode In August

[image]

(FYI, this is not a DontNod game. Their next LiS game is something different).

Where did dontnod say they were making another LIS game?

by Funkmon @, Monday, June 12, 2017, 00:14 (2520 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Where did dontnod say they were making another LIS game?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 12, 2017, 00:24 (2520 days ago) @ Funkmon

I am so Lycos for this game.

by Funkmon @, Monday, June 12, 2017, 01:55 (2520 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

E3 2017 | Microsoft

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, June 11, 2017, 22:51 (2520 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

[*]Original Xbox Games to be backward compatible

I will wait and see about details. Is it all games, or a particular selection like the 360's BC was? If I can play RalliSport Challenge 2 again, consider me sold.

E3 2017 | Microsoft

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, June 12, 2017, 14:21 (2519 days ago) @ stabbim

[*]Original Xbox Games to be backward compatible

I will wait and see about details. Is it all games, or a particular selection like the 360's BC was? If I can play RalliSport Challenge 2 again, consider me sold.

I wonder if the XBox One hardware is powerful enough to just straight up emulate any original XBox game, rather than going through the "recompile" dance they do with 360 games? If so they should be able to just run any original game without a problem, otherwise we'll have a situation similar to the 360 backwards compatibility where they have to manually re-create the games so they can run on the new hardware.

A bit.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, June 11, 2017, 23:07 (2520 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

xXboxXx, X.B.O.X = X Box One X, Xboxxx. Blah blah blah. I myself am not so hyped for any sort of gaming thing in a box be it called console or PC, which more an more blurs and overlaps. Yea - blah blah blah 4k. HDR is Cool. If I have money that is burnin' a hole in my pocket, then sure, I'll probably jump on because I'm an artist that love to see other artists art in the best way I can. Way I see it it's no different then jumping into a plane, renting a room, all just to see an opening of an artist showing off his or her work in a museum - except I get to do all that in the comforts of my own home.

I have to admit, there is a part of me that feels the the ability to have Original Xbox Games be backward compatible is pretty cool. It will be interesting to see how games that are now at the oldest...oh... 15ish years old hold up.

That said, back in the world of right now, Metro: Exodus. I know the Metro series has had a thing about looking really good, but I don't really know much about the game series at large. Has any one here played the Metro games? How are they? Also on a more "Video Game Art" side of things, I will be very surprised if, once the Grip og the NDA for the art of this game is released, if there has been no Quixel tech to assist in the art assets in this game.

Nothing to add with Ori. Everything is already obvious, twice so if you have played the first one.

Which brings us to Anthem.

Ugh. Some of my past concerns with Destiny are now being exasperated into the industry at large. There is only so much time in a day to play a game. Now - everything is...!ONLINE! here & !ALWAYS ON! there. Really brings what the original idea for Xbox one into perspective really. Instead of being chained hardware wise it's software. There is a part of me that is wondering if there is any difference any more, though I know there technically is. I don't know.

I guess as long as we have Korny to tell us how much better Anthem is then Destiny I guess we will be ok. <3 ;P

Once some more is shown about Anthem, I hope we as a community can talk about the EA version of Bioware's take on the "Shared Word" Videogame idea.

A bit more.

by BlackstarBSP, Monday, June 12, 2017, 01:25 (2520 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

xXboxXx, X.B.O.X = X Box One X, Xboxxx. Blah blah blah.

DAMN IT! You beat me to it. :/

LIS?! OMG.

by Funkmon @, Monday, June 12, 2017, 00:09 (2520 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

They had me at Cuphead.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 12, 2017, 02:29 (2520 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Bah! I knew I missed something!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, June 12, 2017, 02:40 (2520 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Anthem

by electricpirate @, Monday, June 12, 2017, 03:42 (2520 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Man that game looks gorgeous. A lot of smoke and mirrors there though.

2019 Though

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, June 12, 2017, 11:34 (2519 days ago) @ electricpirate

So we're still almost two years away from Anthem. Looks neat, but I worry they are making the same mistakes with RNG that Destiny is making. I'll reserve judgement though since Bioware does have more experience with RPGs. They may handle the RNG better.

Is it weird that they had basically the same demo?

by electricpirate @, Monday, June 12, 2017, 13:04 (2519 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

So we're still almost two years away from Anthem. Looks neat, but I worry they are making the same mistakes with RNG that Destiny is making. I'll reserve judgement though since Bioware does have more experience with RPGs. They may handle the RNG better.

The idea that they will make the same mistakes is really underscored by the fact that their demo hit almost the *exact* same beats as the Destiny 1 E3 demo.

1. Moment to form a team (town/landing in russia)
2. big enviromental thing (Big monster eating other monsters/colony ships falling)
3. light weight combat scenarios
4. difficult combat scenario demonstrating "super" moves (Shoulder rockets/ Warlock+hunter supers)
5. Loot grabbing moment
6. Public event

Is it weird that they had basically the same demo?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, June 12, 2017, 13:36 (2519 days ago) @ electricpirate

Man that game looks gorgeous. A lot of smoke and mirrors there though.

It is E3.

The idea that they will make the same mistakes is really underscored by the fact that their demo hit almost the *exact* same beats as the Destiny 1 E3 demo.

1. Moment to form a team (town/landing in russia)
2. big enviromental thing (Big monster eating other monsters/colony ships falling)
3. light weight combat scenarios
4. difficult combat scenario demonstrating "super" moves (Shoulder rockets/ Warlock+hunter supers)
5. Loot grabbing moment
6. Public event

I noticed that too. They even have a wall.

Is it wierd it seems like they both are from the same script

by Durandal, Monday, June 12, 2017, 14:31 (2519 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

It looks like they took the concept from the first E3, and just swapped out the space magic for science suits.

I'm not complaining, as it's nice to have a bevy of games even if I can't play them all, but it seems really close to the concept Bungie initially demoed.

I'm assuming since it isn't coming till 2019, it will be on the newer platforms and wont be hobbled by the last gen as Destiny was?

It also looks like it will come around roughly the same time as D3, meaning Bungie will have an opportunity to work on an answer.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, June 12, 2017, 14:33 (2519 days ago) @ Durandal

It also looks like it will come around roughly the same time as D3, meaning Bungie will have an opportunity to work on an answer.

I have the feeling that by that point Bungie won't really have to answer to any other game... Not saying that D3 is going to be so wonderful that they don't need to bother, it more that they will be doing their own thing for so long they won't care.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 12, 2017, 15:37 (2519 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I have the feeling that by that point Bungie won't really have to answer to any other game... Not saying that D3 is going to be so wonderful that they don't need to bother, it more that they will be doing their own thing for so long they won't care.

If other games end up being better than Destiny, then they do have to care. One of the drawbacks of AAA+ is that there is only room for so many… With AAA you can play and enjoy your 5-20 hours or whatever and move to the next one. With AAA+ which requires you to play constantly, people have to kind of stick with the same thing for a while. Especially if they spent money on the microtransactions.

Anthem

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, June 12, 2017, 13:26 (2519 days ago) @ electricpirate

Looked like a really cool game. The one thing that completely destroyed it for me was two lines that blew my immersion out of the water.

After seeing an unexplored cavern
1. "We should do that later with Kim"
"Yeah, he could use the XP" (not abbreviating, direct quote)

When the ranger picks up loot and it is being opened
2. "ahhh come on, be something good! ahh yes, Jarra's Wrath!"

Both cases gave me a "WTF" moment of wondering if it was the characters talking or the players. After the trailer all I could think of was that these characters were pulling a deadpool and knew they were in a game. It completely destroyed the rest of the potential story line and atmosphere of the game.

Anthem

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, June 12, 2017, 13:33 (2519 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Looked like a really cool game. The one thing that completely destroyed it for me was two lines that blew my immersion out of the water.

Both cases gave me a "WTF" moment of wondering if it was the characters talking or the players. After the trailer all I could think of was that these characters were pulling a deadpool and knew they were in a game. It completely destroyed the rest of the potential story line and atmosphere of the game.

Really? It's classic E3 marketing cheese. When I heard those lines (along with one other which I don't recall), I thought to my self, essentially, "said no player ever".

As far as I can tell the only ingame character speaking was the man in the beginning who "hired the wrong people".

Anthem

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, June 12, 2017, 13:38 (2519 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Really? It's classic E3 marketing cheese. When I heard those lines (along with one other which I don't recall), I thought to my self, essentially, "said no player ever".

As far as I can tell the only ingame character speaking was the man in the beginning who "hired the wrong people".

It all sounded in game to me. If it wasn't in game, they really should be better at letting people know that in a trailer, whether it's live or not.

Anthem

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, June 12, 2017, 13:37 (2519 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

It was exactly like the Division and Wildlands reveals, where the in-game characters are essentially role-playing players (intended to represent how people will communicate while playing the game, even though Nobody Talks Like That Ever). It's doubly weird in this case, because the player character seems to be the character's voice actor, so the line is blurred further (they did state that she was joining another player in that instance, not that he was a character in the game).

It's that kind of smoke and mirrors (and especially given how good both of the aforementioned games looked compared to how mediocre they turned out) that makes me super skeptical about the whole thing. Still, it looks like a full game that evolved from Mass Effect 3's multiplayer, so it's definitely on my radar.

Anthem

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, June 12, 2017, 13:48 (2519 days ago) @ Korny

It was exactly like the Division and Wildlands reveals, where the in-game characters are essentially role-playing players (intended to represent how people will communicate while playing the game, even though Nobody Talks Like That Ever). It's doubly weird in this case, because the player character seems to be the character's voice actor, so the line is blurred further (they did state that she was joining another player in that instance, not that he was a character in the game).

It's that kind of smoke and mirrors (and especially given how good both of the aforementioned games looked compared to how mediocre they turned out) that makes me super skeptical about the whole thing. Still, it looks like a full game that evolved from Mass Effect 3's multiplayer, so it's definitely on my radar.

Yeah, I never saw either of those trailers, so this is my first round of weirdness. I can confidently say that I really did not like it. I liked everything else about the game from that impression. But if they plan on doing stuff like that and I, as a potential player of their game, thinks that audio done by voice actors in a live playing of the game is supposed to think that it's not going to be part of the game... then apparently they are risking my money for no good reason other than to simulate what the average gamer is going to say to a buddy. That seems really stupid on the marketing side in my opinion. However, I am also pretty confident that I'm not an average gamer, so maybe this stuff actually works.

Anthem

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, June 12, 2017, 13:59 (2519 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Yeah, I never saw either of those trailers, so this is my first round of weirdness. I can confidently say that I really did not like it. I liked everything else about the game from that impression. But if they plan on doing stuff like that and I, as a potential player of their game, thinks that audio done by voice actors in a live playing of the game is supposed to think that it's not going to be part of the game... then apparently they are risking my money for no good reason other than to simulate what the average gamer is going to say to a buddy. That seems really stupid on the marketing side in my opinion. However, I am also pretty confident that I'm not an average gamer, so maybe this stuff actually works.

I can confirm that pretty much everyone thinks this is stupid (and some folks do a great job of pointing out how dumb and unrealistic this is), but for some reason, they keep doing it. That's why I enjoyed the "Become Legend" trailer series, since it turns this practice a bit on its side.

Nowadays I take the whole thing as a red flag. No game that does it has lived up to the hype.

To be fair...

by Robot Chickens, Monday, June 12, 2017, 15:38 (2519 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Bungie kind of did this too.

Granted, there was never the pretense that Joe and Jason were character actors, but their conversation was such that no one ever talks like that naturally. Whether spoken by a human or a game character, it sounds really awkward. I miss the show, don't tell style of the Halo 2 reveal, even if it was just smoke and mirrors.

To be fair...

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, June 12, 2017, 15:50 (2519 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Granted, there was never the pretense that Joe and Jason were character actors, but their conversation was such that no one ever talks like that naturally. Whether spoken by a human or a game character, it sounds really awkward. I miss the show, don't tell style of the Halo 2 reveal, even if it was just smoke and mirrors.

Yeah, I can understand that they are acting like two guys playing a game. But for me, it was all about feel. I know, just from watching that that the voices aren't from the game. It's obvious that they are showing off the game to an audience. That was not at all apparent in Anthem, in fact it actual felt like it was supposed to fit into the in game dialogue. That is what truly bugs me the most.

Agreed.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 12, 2017, 16:07 (2519 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Yeah, I can understand that they are acting like two guys playing a game. But for me, it was all about feel. I know, just from watching that that the voices aren't from the game. It's obvious that they are showing off the game to an audience. That was not at all apparent in Anthem, in fact it actual felt like it was supposed to fit into the in game dialogue. That is what truly bugs me the most.

It was weird, and not what I was expecting from Bioware. It was like Spartan Ops--dude bros in Halo were not a good fit to me. In Gears, though, it kind of works.

Really?

by cheapLEY @, Monday, June 12, 2017, 17:13 (2519 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

No judgment from me, but it was readily apparent to me that those are the players talking and not the characters.

I also don't really get the hate for it. Yeah, those lines are stilted and bad, but I've had nearly those exact conversations with people in Destiny on multiple occasions. Talking about drops, talking about activities to do, talking about farming XP or glimmer or planetary mats, etc.

Really?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, June 12, 2017, 18:32 (2519 days ago) @ cheapLEY

No judgment from me, but it was readily apparent to me that those are the players talking and not the characters.

I also don't really get the hate for it. Yeah, those lines are stilted and bad, but I've had nearly those exact conversations with people in Destiny on multiple occasions. Talking about drops, talking about activities to do, talking about farming XP or glimmer or planetary mats, etc.

It wasn't the lines that bugged me, it was their source. When I first watched it, I heard the actual characters saying the lines. I was not hearing people playing the characters saying that. That is what bugged me. Once I was hearing that it completely took me out of the atmosphere.

If it was obvious that those lines were comeing from people playing the game, I would totally understand. But in Anthem, I couldn't tell that at all, I thought these characters were acting like gamers and they knew they were in the game. That's basically all I'm saying :D

Really?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 12, 2017, 18:51 (2519 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

It wasn't the lines that bugged me, it was their source. When I first watched it, I heard the actual characters saying the lines. I was not hearing people playing the characters saying that. That is what bugged me. Once I was hearing that it completely took me out of the atmosphere.

If it was obvious that those lines were comeing from people playing the game, I would totally understand. But in Anthem, I couldn't tell that at all, I thought these characters were acting like gamers and they knew they were in the game. That's basically all I'm saying :D

Seems like a committee decision to me, meaning they couldn't decide which demo to do (the atmospheric one that sets the stage for a cool story or one with gamers having fun), so they did both.

Really?

by cheapLEY @, Monday, June 12, 2017, 19:53 (2519 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I guess that's my point. The lines and conversations were so obviously coming from the players and not the characters that I legitimately didn't think that would be an issue.

There's probably a point about differing perspectives in there somewhere, I guess. At least it goes to show how difficult doing a presentation like that must be.

Really?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, June 12, 2017, 22:21 (2519 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I think the dissonance comes from the fact that it appeared to be the same voice actor from the cutscene right before she suits up (which I now realize wasn't a cutscene, furthering the dissonance)

Anthem

by Achronos, Monday, June 12, 2017, 18:18 (2519 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I was jerked out of watching the cool looking demo because my wife's name is Jarrah.

Calling a gun Jarra's Wrath hit a little close to home. :)

hahaha

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, June 12, 2017, 18:33 (2519 days ago) @ Achronos

- No text -

lol

by Claude Errera @, Monday, June 12, 2017, 18:36 (2519 days ago) @ Achronos

- No text -

Looks mediocre.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, June 12, 2017, 13:43 (2519 days ago) @ electricpirate

Obviously it's gorgeous, but that was such an obviously smoke and mirrors demo that I can't be exited. They didn't do anything besides walk around a gorgeous environment. It tells us nothing sbout what the game is. We can extrapolate from what we saw, but Destiny taught me not to do that already.

Get back to me at E3 2019 after this misses its 2018 launch.

Combat

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 12, 2017, 17:30 (2519 days ago) @ electricpirate

It seems nobody has learned from Halo. Not even Bungie.

Going through my notes, I was struck at how several people described the combat in Halo. They liked to think of the encounters as about controlling space, where you jockey for position, pushing the enemy back until they are defeated. Sometimes you get pushed back yourself and are in trouble. Most encounters had kind of a three stage feel to them, with three levels of space control. So, you'd start the encounter, break through and advance, then do so one more time to win. Anyone who has played the beach on Silent Cartographer knows exactly what this means. I can point to this philosophy all the way through Reach when it comes to encounter design.

Even when not in three parts, it still shows up and large parts of the games are designed around this idea. There were efforts to create this dynamically using AI in Destiny, but that was abandoned.

I feel like Destiny lost this feeling completely. You are either holding your ground, or you are just killing enemies and moving on. There is rarely an ebb and flow to the battle like Halo had. The AI doesn't really retreat and advance the same way.

Seeing the little bit of combat here, it seems more of the same Destiny style combat. The type of combat that is loose with roaming groups of enemies. There is what appears to be a sweet ass world, but it's not utilized the way it could be.

Maybe I can't determine that yet, but that's what it seems like. With that suit, I was hoping the combat would have that Platinum touch and depth.

Overall thoughts with a dash of snark.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, June 12, 2017, 19:11 (2519 days ago) @ electricpirate

New rule...Games displayed at E3 must come out before next E3. How many years was the Division at E3 before it came out? Like...8? And it suuuuuucked.

Hey, remember Scalebound?

And how many years are they going to tease us with Cuphead. Septemeber? Pfft, I'll believe it when I see it. Fun fact, the visuals of that game aren't artistic...it was actually started in the 1930's.

Weren't we supposed to get a Game Preview of DayZ 2 years ago? (speaking of which weren't we supposed to get DayZ on PC like 5 years ago?)

Most of the games that were in the MS briefing, I responded..."what the hell was that?" *cough hipster paper rock n roll astronaut cough*

Some of the most fun gameplay happened in that quick "Games with Gold" montage (cmon...you know they will be.)

Hey look at that new Porsche...it looks exactly like every Porsche. How appropriate for Forza.

And good grief...a guy got ripped in half! WTF SoD2!? Unnecessary!

What was that game where the dude shot a bear monster off a cliff? I fell asleep 27 minutes into him gently meandering about and woke up to that! Sheesh!

Not even a Halo mention? I've lost interest anyway...but...cmon MS! Whaddayadoin?

Anthem: Looks gorgeous. Looking forward to the invisible barriers not letting me go to there.

-----

My final takeaway - XOX looks pretty but there isn't much worth playing on it (exclusive wise)

The Duke is Back

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Monday, June 12, 2017, 03:46 (2520 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Not from the conference, but someone is remaking the Duke controller for Xbox One.

I seem to remember some of you guys being fans of the controller back in the day.

-Disciple

E3 2017 | Microsoft (NSFW Rant)

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, June 12, 2017, 16:25 (2519 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Xbox One "X"?

Are you fucking kidding me?

How did the meeting for that name play out?

*Just a bunch of 40, 50 year old stuffed suits sitting around a conference table, all with thoughtful looks on their faces, silent for minutes...*

"...how about....X?"

"Oooh, X is good!"

"It's always been a favorite letter of ours."

"Brilliant, Peterson! You deserve a promotion! Guess we can call that an early lunch!"

*All the executives pull out small glass panels and briefcases full of cocaine*

There is NO creative thought process left in the world, NONE. Are you telling me that for four years(it has been four years, right? I'm trying to find the first PS announcement, but I don't seem to see it) of development and engineering, and worldwide input, the best fucking thing you can come up with is ADDING AN X?!

You might as well have just called it Project Scorpio for God's sake! The prototype name was better than the final product!

I can't even imagine what it's going to be like for the parents.

When I and my cousins and friends were all children, none of our parents would have any idea what system their kids told them they wanted--it was almost similar to a careless shopper accidentally picking up the diet soda instead. And of course, they'd get the names wrong--when I asked for a Genesis, they'd genuinely get mixed up and call it a "Super Nintendo Genesis". My cousin Eddie might have invented the facepalm when his mother came back empty handed because 'they didn't have a Playstation64'.

I honestly thought at first they were doing it just to irritate and annoy us, but we eventually found out they really didn't have a clue about this stuff.

Finally getting to the point, my parents could barely separate two opposite looking, rival, unequal consoles with vastly different names.

It's going to (CONTINUE to) be hell for parents to try to distinguish between the Xbox 1, the Xbox 360, the Xbox 360 S, the Xbox 360 E, the Xbox 360 S E, the Xbox ONE, the Xbox One S, and the Xbox One X.

*sighs*

I guarantee you, any of the people in this forum alone can come up with a better name. Or more accurately, an actual name.

In other news.....

• Xbox One on Xbox One--I heard the word 'some'...that concerns me--does that mean no Shadow the Hedgehog? :-)
  • Ruiner looks interesting...
  • Cuphead: Wh....wha--!
  • Super Lucky:'Way to go, Tails!'
  • Crackdown 3--I am SO PSYCHED UP! YES!!!

Dumbass console name aside, E3 looks to be pretty damn exciting. I'm going to need three jobs to cover all my purchases! ;-)

Let's see what Nintendo has to offer us tomorrow!

by cheapLEY @, Monday, June 12, 2017, 17:18 (2519 days ago) @ Morpheus

The prototype name was better than the final product!

To be fair, that's pretty much universally true for game consoles. Durango, Xenon, Neo, Revolution, etc.

I personally don't see why people are so worked up about it. The name is fine. It's a little confusing for general audiences, but I don't think that's an issue since they aren't really the market for this thing.

Marketing Trends *sOT*

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, June 12, 2017, 18:19 (2519 days ago) @ Morpheus

I'm definitely not trying to sound like an expert here, because I'm not...but my day life is in marketing, and what you are annoyed by is a rampant trend right now. And what I mean by that is, stale boring stuff across the board. It's probably more of a macro problem that is a reflection of our society but marketers these days are scared to death to push the envelope and be creative because it might "offend" 0.002% of the population.

Therefore you get stuck with names like:

Playstation 1, 2, 3, 4
Xbox, 360, One, One S, One X
Galaxy s5, s6, s7
iPhone 6, 6S, 7, SE*

OR WORSE, any product in the world with "i" in front of it because, hell, it worked for Apple.

But when it comes to, brand recognition, and user retention, it makes sense to create a lineage, it shows what is most current or "better" - especially helpful for tech. I think you're right though, about the xbox...it's confusing. (starting with the naming of the original One)

*Apple really threw me for a loop with the iPhone SE (which I ended up getting - guts of the 7 in the body of a 6)

Don't really know why I typed all this, but there you go.

Marketing Trends *sOT*

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, June 12, 2017, 19:10 (2519 days ago) @ ManKitten

I think you're right though, about the xbox...it's confusing. (starting with the naming of the original One)

I'd argue that the problem started with the 360. Not because "360" itself was confusing - it wasn't, at least when it and the plain "XBox" were the only ones in existence. No, 360 wasn't confusing by itself, but it created a problem, which was... where to go? What do you call the next one after "360" that can create any obvious link/lineage? I mean, you can joke about calling it XBox 720, but that's not REALLY going to be the name. So you end up having to call it something completely unrelated, leaving you with 3 consoles whose names aren't clearly related. Someone not already familiar with the subject probably wouldn't be able to tell which order those 3 came in.

They should have just called it "XBox 2."

Marketing Trends *sOT*

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, June 13, 2017, 04:13 (2519 days ago) @ ManKitten

That does make sense, but at least with the other products they were sequential, if nothing else.

The Xbox is literally all over the place. Including repeating itself.

by Kahzgul, Monday, June 12, 2017, 21:04 (2519 days ago) @ Morpheus

Let's see what Nintendo has to offer us tomorrow!

If the trend continues, it'll be the Nintendo Switch hctiwS (except, you know, upsidedown and whatnot).

You aren't looking at it right.

by Quirel, Tuesday, June 13, 2017, 14:55 (2518 days ago) @ Morpheus

Xbox One "X"?

Are you fucking kidding me?

How did the meeting for that name play out?

*Just a bunch of 40, 50 year old stuffed suits sitting around a conference table, all with thoughtful looks on their faces, silent for minutes...*

"...how about....X?"

"Oooh, X is good!"

"It's always been a favorite letter of ours."

"Brilliant, Peterson! You deserve a promotion! Guess we can call that an early lunch!"

*All the executives pull out small glass panels and briefcases full of cocaine*

There is NO creative thought process left in the world, NONE. Are you telling me that for four years(it has been four years, right? I'm trying to find the first PS announcement, but I don't seem to see it) of development and engineering, and worldwide input, the best fucking thing you can come up with is ADDING AN X?!

XBox One X

X
Box
One
X

"How long have you been planning this pun?"
"Ever since you let me name the XBox One."

+5, You Got Me Good!

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 02:54 (2518 days ago) @ Quirel

- No text -

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, June 15, 2017, 00:15 (2517 days ago) @ Morpheus

[image]

Stole this from reddit

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread