Positive Revival

by PerseusSpartacus, G'rndl Prime, Friday, August 16, 2013, 19:01 (3913 days ago)

My first post on this Forum asked what your biggest worry for Destiny was - that sure grabbed a lot of attention! But this time I want to go on a more positive note. Being a big fan of Marathon (you'll find I'm incredibly active on the Marathon Story Forum and reasonably active on the Pfhorums) and a lover of Halo: Combat Evolved, I'm very into Bungie's early games. As such, I'll ask a question related to this:

What do you hope Bungie will bring back in terms of style, influence, or design from its earlier games? Furthermore, is it something we already know they'll bring back, and if not, does it seem likely that they will?

Vale,
Perseus

Positive Revival

by Avateur @, Friday, August 16, 2013, 19:14 (3913 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus

I would love it if they brought back the ability to carry more than two weapons at one time. That already appears to be the case, as I think it's been confirmed that you can now carry three, but I'd like to be able to carry more than just those three, but maybe have to switch them out or something by hitting Start and going through some menu depending on the situation (and I say this because I doubt Bungie would allow for an endless cycle of weapons that eventually end back up where you started).

I'd also love to see clan support like we had in H2, but to a grander extent.

Positive Revival

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, August 17, 2013, 05:23 (3913 days ago) @ Avateur

I would love it if they brought back the ability to carry more than two weapons at one time. That already appears to be the case, as I think it's been confirmed that you can now carry three, but I'd like to be able to carry more than just those three, but maybe have to switch them out or something by hitting Start and going through some menu depending on the situation (and I say this because I doubt Bungie would allow for an endless cycle of weapons that eventually end back up where you started).

I'd also love to see clan support like we had in H2, but to a grander extent.

Brought it back... from where? (And why?)

I enjoy the added strategy required to maximize your weaponry when there's a hard limit on what you can carry. I don't think I'd mind it if you could, say, store all of your loot in the Citadel, and choose what to use as you went out on each foray... but I LIKE that in a given situation, you're limited - two, three, either is fine with me. (I think I'd be fine if you could PICK UP more than that... but all but your primary weapons should be stored away in some relatively inaccessible place; no swapping in the heat of battle.)

Positive Revival

by roland ⌂ @, Saturday, August 17, 2013, 08:20 (3912 days ago) @ Claude Errera

You have to go way back... Marathon let you carry more than 2.

I enjoy the added strategy required to maximize your weaponry when there's a hard limit on what you can carry. I don't think I'd mind it if you could, say, store all of your loot in the Citadel, and choose what to use as you went out on each foray... but I LIKE that in a given situation, you're limited - two, three, either is fine with me. (I think I'd be fine if you could PICK UP more than that... but all but your primary weapons should be stored away in some relatively inaccessible place; no swapping in the heat of battle.)

Agreed.

Positive Revival

by PerseusSpartacus, G'rndl Prime, Saturday, August 17, 2013, 11:09 (3912 days ago) @ roland

You have to go way back... Marathon let you carry more than 2.

Yes, it allowed you to carry more than 2 - it allowed you to carry your entire inventory with you. Still, I see the point of what you're saying, and I too think being able to use, say, 3 weapons all together would be great. 2 was good for Halo, but Destiny should probably have a larger number. 4 is too much, though, so 3 is probably a great choice. I would assume Bungie agrees.

Vale,
Perseus

Positive Revival

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Saturday, August 17, 2013, 10:03 (3912 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Brought it back... from where?

Halo 1's Pillar of Autumn, of course!

Positive Revival

by PerseusSpartacus, G'rndl Prime, Saturday, August 17, 2013, 11:12 (3912 days ago) @ uberfoop

Halo 1's Pillar of Autumn, of course!

Heh. Smart move. That's something I bet very few will know about - far fewer than those who know about the Rockslide Megabattle, at least.

Vale,
Perseus

Positive Revival

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, August 17, 2013, 11:12 (3912 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Brought it back... from where?

From Marathon. Duh. :-p

Positive Revival

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, August 17, 2013, 22:31 (3912 days ago) @ Claude Errera

If Destiny is a 'social' game, and you will be most likely playing with other people, then a limit on weapons in meaningless anyway, since each person in your group increases the limit essentially.

Play 4 player Halo sometime, and you'll find there's much less, if any strategy in weapon selection, since between the four of you your team can have them all.

At that point, why bother limiting yourself to two/three if you can just get around that by adding more people?

Positive Revival

by PerseusSpartacus, G'rndl Prime, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 10:35 (3911 days ago) @ Cody Miller

At that point, why bother limiting yourself to two/three if you can just get around that by adding more people?

So that playing solo doesn't become too easy. Furthermore, it'd be kind of silly to be able to carry around every weapon you ever grabbed and switch between them in the heat of battle: that would make it incredibly easy. See a Devil Walker, pull out a Rocket Launcher; see a Fallen Captain, pull out a Minigun. Now allow an entire group to do that. I think you can see where I'm going with this.

Vale,
Perseus

Positive Revival

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 10:59 (3911 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus

So that playing solo doesn't become too easy. Furthermore, it'd be kind of silly to be able to carry around every weapon you ever grabbed and switch between them in the heat of battle: that would make it incredibly easy. See a Devil Walker, pull out a Rocket Launcher; see a Fallen Captain, pull out a Minigun. Now allow an entire group to do that. I think you can see where I'm going with this.

If you design the game around the idea that the player has every weapon at all times, it won't necessarily be easy. Nobody ever called Serious Sam easy.

But if the idea behind a weapon limit is to force the player to use a bit of strategy in deciding what weapons to bring into encounters, the idea would be that there'd be a tradeoff with every weapon combo so no one would be completely dominant, right? Players have to play and replay the game in order to determine which is the optimal weapon combo for them for any given section of the game. But when you have a ton of people, that element is lost since each person can just have unique weapons, thus the group is always going to have someone with the proper weapon for any given segment.

In Halo, Shotgun/Rockets is great for the flood, but not so much for Sentinels and the covenant. So in co-op, one person has Shotgun/Rockets, and the other has PP/Pistol or PP/AR and suddenly Two Betrayals is really easy since between the two of you you're always good to go.

Given that Halo is really a single player game, this isn't a problem, but destiny is meant to be played with people.

As for Claude's idea for an inventory, I'd really like to know in what situation anybody here finds inventory management to be fun. To me, it adds more frustration and very little strategy. An inventory being defined as a specific number of slots to hold things, in which any item can go. So grenades in Halo are not inventory, since you can't put a gun in your grenade slot.

Positive Revival

by PerseusSpartacus, G'rndl Prime, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 12:25 (3911 days ago) @ Cody Miller

As for Claude's idea for an inventory, I'd really like to know in what situation anybody here finds inventory management to be fun. To me, it adds more frustration and very little strategy. An inventory being defined as a specific number of slots to hold things, in which any item can go. So grenades in Halo are not inventory, since you can't put a gun in your grenade slot.

Inventory management adds serious strategizing, in my opinion. A Needler-Plasma Rifle combo works great against Elites, Jackals, and Hunters, but you're having to waste valuable ammo to deal with Grunts. Alternatively, Pistol-Plasma Rifle makes it a little harder to deal with Elites, but it's even easier to handle Grunts or Hunters. Tradeoffs, tradeoffs.

Of course, the question is, what about if you don't know what you're going to face? That allows for interesting options, in my opinion. I know my mission is going to take me up against a lot of Fallen, so I should either pick a combo that works great against Fallen, or try experimenting with a new combo to see if it works better. But suppose the Hive appear halfway into that mission unexpectedly? Now I'll have to adapt a bit.

This is what makes Halo so interesting: adjusting your equipment to handle the situation. Of course, a lot of people probably don't want to have to do all that strategic thinking, so it's wise to try and ease it up by making the limits more open. For instance, instead of two weapons, you can carry three or maybe, just maybe, four. This could even be part of the class system: for instance, Titans could carry four weapons while Hunters and Warlocks could carry just three. This opens things up and makes the strategizing and adaptation easier, while still ensuring things aren't incredibly easy.

Vale,
Perseus

Positive Revival

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 12:41 (3911 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus

Inventory management adds serious strategizing, in my opinion. A Needler-Plasma Rifle combo works great against Elites, Jackals, and Hunters, but you're having to waste valuable ammo to deal with Grunts. Alternatively, Pistol-Plasma Rifle makes it a little harder to deal with Elites, but it's even easier to handle Grunts or Hunters. Tradeoffs, tradeoffs.

I like how I went to the trouble of defining what an inventory is, because I knew someone would try and say something you just did. THE WEAPONS SLOTS IN HALO ARE NOT AN INVENTORY. Re-read the last two sentences of the post you replied to.

This is what makes Halo so interesting: adjusting your equipment to handle the situation. Of course, a lot of people probably don't want to have to do all that strategic thinking, so it's wise to try and ease it up by making the limits more open. For instance, instead of two weapons, you can carry three or maybe, just maybe, four. This could even be part of the class system: for instance, Titans could carry four weapons while Hunters and Warlocks could carry just three. This opens things up and makes the strategizing and adaptation easier, while still ensuring things aren't incredibly easy.

You are completely discounting the point I made, where a smart group of players will never have to adapt and adjust, because between them they can have everything they'll need to tackle any given area. Don't have the right weapon? Someone in your party does, let him take care of it.

Positive Revival

by PerseusSpartacus, G'rndl Prime, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 14:06 (3911 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I like how I went to the trouble of defining what an inventory is, because I knew someone would try and say something you just did. THE WEAPONS SLOTS IN HALO ARE NOT AN INVENTORY. Re-read the last two sentences of the post you replied to.

I just did, and you said "An inventory being defined as a specific number of slots to hold things, in which any item can go." This would include Halo, and naturally Destiny. So I was right to say 'inventory'.

You are completely discounting the point I made, where a smart group of players will never have to adapt and adjust, because between them they can have everything they'll need to tackle any given area. Don't have the right weapon? Someone in your party does, let him take care of it.

Yes, it makes it easier. However, which would be easier:

A) You have a group of four players, all with three weapons apiece, or
B) You have a group of four players, all able to switch between every weapon they own in the heat of battle.

I think the choice is self-evident. Three weapons apiece is harder. I honestly don't see why you're so dead-set against a Halo-style inventory (albeit modified to fit an MMORPG-style game) - it's infinitely better than the alternative. If you want a Marathon or Unreal Tournament-style weapon choice design, then you can probably find it inside multiplayer PvP matches - that's the only place where it makes sense. Outside of PvP, there's no understandable reason for anything other than a Halo-style inventory.

Vale,
Perseus

Positive Revival

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 14:23 (3911 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus

I just did, and you said "An inventory being defined as a specific number of slots to hold things, in which any item can go." This would include Halo, and naturally Destiny. So I was right to say 'inventory'.

"An inventory being defined as a specific number of slots to hold things, in which any item can go."

Can you put a grenade in a weapon slot in Halo? Can you put a weapon in a grenade slot in Halo? Can you put a piece of equipment anywhere but your equipment slot? Why do I bother to type things if people don't read them. It's not hard to understand, so I'm assuming you just didn't read it.

Halo does not have an inventory.

Yes, it makes it easier. However, which would be easier:

A) You have a group of four players, all with three weapons apiece, or
B) You have a group of four players, all able to switch between every weapon they own in the heat of battle.

I think the choice is self-evident. Three weapons apiece is harder. I honestly don't see why you're so dead-set against a Halo-style inventory (albeit modified to fit an MMORPG-style game) - it's infinitely better than the alternative. If you want a Marathon or Unreal Tournament-style weapon choice design, then you can probably find it inside multiplayer PvP matches - that's the only place where it makes sense. Outside of PvP, there's no understandable reason for anything other than a Halo-style inventory.

I've explained this: the larger your party, the less Halo style weapon limitations actually matter, and Destiny is apparently supposed to be played with groups of people. Why would you include this limitation, when one of the main design points of your game negates it?

The 'better' (and I put that in quotes because it's not a good thing at all, but it's better than a hard limit given the design of the game already), is to do gun leveling where you are effectively limited because you've only been leveling up one or two guns, and the rest aren't useful because they are underpowered.

Positive Revival

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, August 18, 2013, 15:15 (3911 days ago) @ Cody Miller

"An inventory being defined as a specific number of slots to hold things, in which any item can go."

Can you put a grenade in a weapon slot in Halo? Can you put a weapon in a grenade slot in Halo? Can you put a piece of equipment anywhere but your equipment slot? Why do I bother to type things if people don't read them. It's not hard to understand, so I'm assuming you just didn't read it.

Halo does not have an inventory.

But does it really invalidates his point? Just swap whenever he said 'inventory' with 'weapon slots'.

Also, your point that management becomes a lot less complex when you have more people around is missing an important part, namely that, sometimes, one or more of the players will be nigh-useless. I'm sorry, but I'd rather have a not-perfectly-prepared-for-all-situations group weapon assignments and all having fun than a every-damn-enemy-dies-within-seconds assignment with half the group waiting out half the engagements.

Positive Revival

by Avateur @, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 15:19 (3911 days ago) @ ZackDark

Also, your point that management becomes a lot less complex when you have more people around is missing an important part, namely that, sometimes, one or more of the players will be nigh-useless. I'm sorry, but I'd rather have a not-perfectly-prepared-for-all-situations group weapon assignments and all having fun than a every-damn-enemy-dies-within-seconds assignment with half the group waiting out half the engagements.

But if this were designed into the game, then I'd assume the difficulty level would ideally be designed to compensate for there being multiple players with who knows what kind of weapons. Or depending on how you go out and explore, maybe you start with whatever three you choose, and you find others along the way. You might not find any additional ammo or anything else for those guns, so even though you have something like eight weapons, that doesn't mean you want to go and use them considering you have no clue what lies ahead and when you might actually need them.

If Bungie were to do this, I'd like to think that they'd have planned and programmed for these things and that the difficulty would rise to the occasion, and that strategy and tactics with your weapons and your clan would be accounted for and tested.

Positive Revival

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 15:38 (3911 days ago) @ ZackDark

Also, your point that management becomes a lot less complex when you have more people around is missing an important part, namely that, sometimes, one or more of the players will be nigh-useless.

And more charitably, you might find times that the guy with the right weapon is busy already. Either because he is pinned down and can't get to you or because he is using the right weapon on the right target, just not he target currently threatening you. Who knows, there may frequently be situations where even a fire team able to dispatch any one enemy due to complimentary load outs has trouble because they are swamped beyond their ability to kill enough of a suddenly prevalent enemy type where more generalized load outs would have done better for them.

For my fire team I want three players who each are balanced to keep themselves alive against any threat firstly and then specialized in different areas for kicking particular types of ass secondly. But then, having the choice to go a different way is just one more exciting Destiny seems like it will offer.

Current Destiny inventory system *IMG*

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 15:46 (3911 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Right now the Destiny inventory appears to have 3 weapon slots with additional inventory slots available per weapon type. I think this is a good system since it appears that you would be able to quickly access 3 weapons at any time, but you could also go into your inventory and choose a different weapon if the current weapons don't fit your needs.

[image]

by PerseusSpartacus, G'rndl Prime, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 17:21 (3911 days ago) @ Xenos

[image]

I honestly don't know how to make head or tail of that picture. The top thing seems to suggest we're looking at the 'Avatar' menu, not the 'Inventory' menu - this fits with the buttons on the right, which look like they should be for the different clothing/armor items. Furthermore, there's four buttons on the left which look like they are for guns. Is anybody able to understand what's going on here?

Vale,
Perseus

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 21:31 (3911 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus

[image]

I honestly don't know how to make head or tail of that picture. The top thing seems to suggest we're looking at the 'Avatar' menu, not the 'Inventory' menu - this fits with the buttons on the right, which look like they should be for the different clothing/armor items. Furthermore, there's four buttons on the left which look like they are for guns. Is anybody able to understand what's going on here?

Vale,
Perseus

It is a little clearer in the video, but basically the way I understand it is that like I said it's pretty clear the warlock has 3 weapon slots based on the left part of the image (we're not sure what the slot above it is since they don't hover over it, my bet right now is on their SPACE MAGIC). If you watch the video, when he hovers over each weapon a grid expands to the left of the image showing additional weapons and a lot of empty grid slots, but only some weapons appear when hovered over each section meaning that most likely weapons are separated into categories. SO based on that assumption you can have 3 different weapons from different classes equipped at any one time, but you can carry MORE than 3 weapons at a time, you just have 3 that are quickly accessible.

So I believe (mere speculation) that it is on the Avatar section because this is where you manage what is equipped on your character, and inventory is where you will most likely just see a list of items that you have. This kind of system should be familiar to any RPG fans, where you equip items in a separate screen from the inventory screen.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Monday, August 19, 2013, 15:43 (3910 days ago) @ Xenos

On some of the later videos they hover over more of it, and the top button on the weapon side is indeed space magic, as well as the right column being where you equip armor and such.

by DJenser, Tuesday, August 20, 2013, 19:45 (3909 days ago) @ Xenos

Look again, my friend... I count 15 (yes, FIFTEEN) slots.

I am disproportionately annoyed

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, August 20, 2013, 19:47 (3909 days ago) @ DJenser
edited by Xenos, Tuesday, August 20, 2013, 19:55

I was talking about the slots to the right for each weapon type, not the slots that expand when you select a weapon type.

*sigh*

by DJenser, Tuesday, August 20, 2013, 19:54 (3909 days ago) @ Xenos

Ah, you were referring to the "Primary", "Special", and "Heavy" weapon categories, whereas I was referring to the number of slots per category.

My mistake... Blame it on sleep deprivation... The wife's at the end of her 3rd trimester & that means neither of us is getting much sleep.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

*sigh*

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, August 20, 2013, 19:56 (3909 days ago) @ DJenser

No problem, I'm also disproportionately annoyed over it so excuse my annoyance :)

Positive Revival

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 15:55 (3911 days ago) @ ZackDark

Wouldn't a game without a weapon limit ensure nobody would be useless? If you limit weapons, someone is not going to have the right one at any given time.

Positive Revival

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, August 18, 2013, 16:45 (3911 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yes, it would, but it would obviously cheapen the experience by a lot. The idea that you could upgrade a few to help balance it out would only return you to the original conundrum.

Positive Revival

by breitzen @, Kansas, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 15:09 (3911 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus

I'm pretty sure he's (and I would agree) saying that an "inventory system" is where you can store a certain number of any usable object. So if Halo had an "inventory system" then in Halo 3 you would have 11 slots for anything. But by forcing a limit onto on two weapons two of each grenade and one piece of equipment, then it's much less of an "inventory system". The only real choices you have are between weapons, and the occasional equipment.

You can't drop or swap out grenades so you have four frags and four plasmas. And you cant drop your equipment to use a third weapon. Halo has never had those kind of slots where you can store anything. As for Destiny, only time will tell, I have a feeling it will be more like Halo, simply because its been described as a Bungie shooter. I'm certainly alright with three weapons but having to worry about a large inventory of all usable objects is new territory for me.

man i started to ramble. apologies!

Positive Revival

by Avateur @, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 12:41 (3911 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus

Ever play any of the older FPS games? Difficulty and singleplayer and multiplayer competitive play and strategy doesn't just disappear because you can carry a ton of weapons. This goes beyond Marathon. Ever play Quake? Unreal Tournament? Even games that weren't exactly competitive like Duke Nukem. Halo seems to have set the two weapon standard.

It's less cluttered. Yes, it adds a bit of strategy and tactical ability in trying to be as best prepared as possible for your upcoming encounter with a minimal weapon choice. Except when I ran into situations with a lot of enemies in front of me who might require a special type of weapon, I gathered my weapons and kept swapping them constantly to keep throwing them ahead.

There were many times in H2 where I wanted a particular gun and didn't want to risk there not being one later (talking about when first playing through, and then continuing this strategy after I knew where things were), so I'd weapon swap constantly to throw them ahead so I had the guns I needed at all times. It's tedious, especially on Legendary. I've followed this in all Halo games except for H4, mostly because H4 is way too easy to beat (my opinion).

There is an argument to be made for less weapon carry options, and while inventory systems aren't always the best option, allowing you to carry a bunch with you (even if you don't have access to them all at the press of a button at any given time) definitely doesn't decrease strategy, tactics, skill, or difficulty (especially if a game's difficulty is planned for it, which is what great developers such as Bungie can do if they want to, not that they want to or have planned to accomodate any system such as the one being discussed :P).

Positive Revival

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 12:51 (3911 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus

So were going to call group planning and synergy a bad thing? I figure having a diverse and complimentarily outfitted fire team is kinda the point.

Positive Revival

by Avateur @, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 10:04 (3911 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by Avateur, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 10:08

As others pointed out, I was referring to Marathon. As for the why, well, why not? There's apparently a competitive multiplayer "area" (or maybe not? I don't think we have many details on it yet), and in that area I could see a limit of 2-3 at a time. But when you're out in the world, and if everyone's weapons are different or potentially useful within certain types of situations, why not allow you to carry whatever you find?

Rockets, shotgun (double-shotty carrying in Marathon, might I add!), AR, etc.

The strategy in itself is choosing which one fits the situation best, especially when conserving ammo is a priority because you might not come across anymore after the initial pickups.

I like threads like these because of responses like this. It takes an idea and allows tweaking for it. There is some strategy to it, especially if you can come across weapons or loot or whatever that maybe an enemy drops (if that's a thing in Destiny) and start gathering. Maybe you can't just take it out and use it right after it's obtained if you have your main three, but it'd be nice to take back and store at the main home base later for if you want to use it on future journeys.

At the same time, I'd love to have, say, a sniper rifle, maybe that blue lightning gun, and a pistol as my main three, but say I'm out in some area with some massive enemy thing and it's not a public event. Maybe I only went in with one or two buddies, and we could really use a bit more. And one of us is carrying some form of a rocket launcher as a fourth weapon, a type of wild card with really low ammo, but holy cow would it come in handy. Just one of those "thank goodness!" moments.

Positive Revival

by scarab @, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 12:16 (3911 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I think that 2 is the magic number. Remember the original game glitch where you can carry three weapons in the first level? I tried it a couple of times but the hassle of weapon switching outweighed any benefit from having 3 weapons. So although I can carry 3 weapons in that level, I never bother in practice.

Halo 4 gives us three grenades and a way to chose the direction in which you select them but that still isn't as simple/convenient for me as the two grenade - one button switch method.

Positive Revival

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, August 16, 2013, 19:31 (3913 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus

That's easy. I want non-recharging health. My three favorite Halo games, Halo 1, ODST, and Reach all had non-recharging health and I think that's one of the factors that made them more fun to play. It means that enemy balance can be adjusted to be less instantly powerful. It always felt like in the other Halos (2, 3, 4) that enemies have to be powerful enough to kill you dead very quickly because if they don't it's like they didn't shoot you at all. But in the good Halos they could be a bit less powerful allowing for more player maneuvering and stuff because maybe you survive a mostly failed flank on that Elite, but now you've got one bar of health and a hard battle in the next room. It made you more cautious. It made you play well because playing poorly had longer term consequences.

Hmm… technically this isn't a returning feature since Reach had it, so:

I want my ODST style map back. Halo 4 did a great job making the Chief feel like a super soldier in a powerful suit of armor, but ODST made me feel like I was playing in the future. While I have no evidence for it I think we'll get a map again. I hope I'm right.

Destiny has ressurection

by scarab @, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 12:22 (3911 days ago) @ Ragashingo

so you'd really need to be playing solo to see the benefit.

Destiny has ressurection

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 12:50 (3911 days ago) @ scarab

So does Halo coop with its respawning when not in danger. It's not so much about dying, it's about the fear of dying and the way it encourages you to play better. It's about having something on screen that you can use judge how well and with how much finess you handled that enemy or room or level. And it's about letting enemies and level designs wear down the player over time instead having to have super accurate dual wielding Elites (for instance) kill you in an instant to keep the enemy competitive. It also allows for things like less annoying red on the screen to indicate near death and for missions to start you with low health to make a section more of a challenge or to serve a story point.

Lots of hidden story text.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, August 16, 2013, 20:11 (3913 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus

- No text -

Of course there will be. It's Bungie.

by PerseusSpartacus, G'rndl Prime, Friday, August 16, 2013, 21:26 (3913 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Grunts

by scarab @, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 12:27 (3911 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus

Small, loquacious, naughty-schoolboy enemies that crease me up when I fight them. Voiced by Joe (of course).

I miss my original Halo Grunts... :-(

Grunts

by PerseusSpartacus, G'rndl Prime, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 13:59 (3911 days ago) @ scarab

I miss my original Halo Grunts... :-(

So do I. "He killed Elite, run!"

Vale,
Perseus

Grunts

by scarab @, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 14:10 (3911 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus

When that Grunt threw a sticky just as the door was closing and it fell back onto a collection of dropped grenades... his companion asked, "What were you thinking?" BOOM!!!

Oh how I laughed :-)

*sOT* Grunts

by PerseusSpartacus, G'rndl Prime, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 17:18 (3911 days ago) @ scarab

When that Grunt threw a sticky just as the door was closing and it fell back onto a collection of dropped grenades... his companion asked, "What were you thinking?" BOOM!!!

What's weird is that that line should only play after a Covie has killed a friend, not before: I don't believe there's any prediction on the part of the AI as to who will kill a friend on accident. It's possible one Grunt got in the way of another one's firing and consequently died, all just before the grenade went off, prompting that one to give out the cry of "What were you thinking?" Otherwise I simply don't get why that would happen.

Vale,
Perseus

*sOT* Grunts

by Quirel, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 18:23 (3911 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus

What's weird is that that line should only play after a Covie has killed a friend, not before: I don't believe there's any prediction on the part of the AI as to who will kill a friend on accident. It's possible one Grunt got in the way of another one's firing and consequently died, all just before the grenade went off, prompting that one to give out the cry of "What were you thinking?" Otherwise I simply don't get why that would happen.

Vale,
Perseus

Could be that the line is set to play whenever a grenade is thrown and lands within the lethal radius of an ally.

*sOT* Grunts

by PerseusSpartacus, G'rndl Prime, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 19:08 (3911 days ago) @ Quirel

Could be that the line is set to play whenever a grenade is thrown and lands within the lethal radius of an ally.

Not likely. I've never seen that in my own play or the films on Bad Cyborg (a very comprehensive site with a ton of videos of Halo: CE solo gameplay).

Vale,
Perseus

Positive Revival

by ridum, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 18:03 (3911 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus

The most important thing to me is the PLAYER MECHANICS.

NO OTHER GAME has been as rewarding and made me feel MORE like the character I'm playing as Halo CE, 2 & 3.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread