Memorable Destiny moments (Destiny)

by Oholiab @, Thursday, June 29, 2017, 13:41 (2514 days ago)

My personal quest to find all the dead ghosts has had me experiencing stories and environments from Destiny that I haven't experienced in a long time. As a result, I've been thinking a lot about the many memorable Destiny moments that I've had over the past several years. So I figured I'd start a thread in case others want to share.

Here are a few of mine in no particular order:

The first time through the Wall
I played the first mission during the beta, and I still remember the anticipation and excitement of going into and through the Wall, even though I had already seen footage of it. Waiting in the dark for the lights to come on, picking up that first gun, looting the first box for your special, coming out into the open world of the Divide. For me, that first mission was so much fun and really set the stage for the rest of the experience.

Setting foot on the Moon
Again, during the beta when it opened up for several hours. I've always been fascinated by the moon, so I think I just stood there, mesmerized, and said out loud, "I'm on the moon!". It was a powerful moment.

Reviving and being revived by my son
We play in the same room, and I remember we had this rough encounter, and he died. This fatherly instinct just kicked in, and I abandoned everything to go revive him. At some point he returned the favor, and it was a proud feeling.

Defeating Skolas in the nick of time
Skolas was the last piece we needed for our Y1 MoT. Dame117, Junior, and I had tried to defeat him in the last week, but he and I had to bail so she could get some help from real players. On the last night possible, Junior and I gave it another go with Monochrone, while Robot Chickens coached. With less than an hour remaining before the reset, we got it done.

Raiding the Vault of Glass
What stood out the first time through was the verticality of the level design. Still impressive. Oh, and getting Fatebringer the first time on my first time through made the rest of the group green with envy.

Raids with Robot
Like many of you, we wind up raiding with many of the same people due to time zones. Our raiding party almost always includes Robot, Rellekh, BeardFade, and UpNorth. Robot provides patient, thorough explanation of each encounter's mechanics for n00bs like me, and doesn't kick me from the party because I can't jump. Likewise, I think this group took every one of the Oholiabs through at least one Raid. If I recall, the youngest was 7 his first time through.

Strikes with Lawnmower
Much like Robot in the raids, Lawnmower often coached us through the strikes. I fondly recall the Nexus strategy of camping behind the rock while trying to avoid splash damage. Oh that splash damage...

Crucible games with BeardFade
If you have not played Crucible with Beard, you are missing out. His dry humor and commentary makes the experience that much better. We regularly refer to the occasion when he was about to swear, only to reign it in at the last moment due to young ears.

The time we randomly matched with DBOers in Crucible Doubles
We all danced and waved... until someone started shooting.

Teaching Life Lessons via the Cryptarch
There was this time...

There's so many others: Funkmon's random code word (that he failed to share with us ahead of time) during the Oryx encounter; the many clutch public events with Randos; the Last Array mission; exploring every nook and cranny of the game world.

As I look back, these moments were memorable primarily because of the people with whom I shared them. In this regard, I would say that Bungie was very successful in developing a "shared world shooter" that you want to play with your family and friends.

Memorable Destiny moments

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, June 29, 2017, 14:42 (2514 days ago) @ Oholiab

This just made me kind of sad, I got all excited to share some memories but nothing is coming to mind. I feel like most of my memories are along the lines of "ugh...finally got that done." which sucks because it doesn't represent the amount of fun I had with Destiny. It does represent The Taken King raid though...ugh...what a pain. 7 straight hours in the raid and we still didn't beat it. (Finally did with a different group a few months later.)

I have zero memory of Crota's End. I actually joined a group of DBOers not too long ago doing the Crota challenge and I thought it was the VoG raid.

The loot cave was a fun memory because I learned about it before it was patched and it was fun seeing a group of people there trolling it and working out a nonverbal communication pattern between everyone for taking turns to gather loot.

Landing on the Dreadnaught for the first time was cool. Standing at the edge of space and seeing how massive that ship was.

Distractingly white teeth in RoI trailer.

FINALLY getting an orange and black shader (after 3 years)

Making my hunter cosplay (indirectly related)

I still think about one of the missons on Mars with my Kinderguardian (the one where you have to kill the cabal captain to get the network key) and being so weak that just to beat the 3 shield cabal in the rocks just before the encounter, I would have to throw a grenade, and run away and wait for my grenade to recharge. Gunfighting just ended in quick death.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, June 29, 2017, 14:55 (2514 days ago) @ Oholiab

Nice read! Hope I get to play with you and your kids more often in Destiny 2. I always enjoyed it.

by Oholiab @, Thursday, June 29, 2017, 20:21 (2514 days ago) @ Kermit

Nice read! Hope I get to play with you and your kids more often in Destiny 2. I always enjoyed it.

Definitely! Looking forward to it. I appreciate you always clueing me to all the secrets in the game world!

Side note: does Skawtchee still play?

by Robot Chickens, Thursday, June 29, 2017, 16:06 (2514 days ago) @ Oholiab

Thanks for the memories. I loved our Vanilla-HoW era raids/activities. Getting through those raids with your family is one of my highlights as well. I don't feel like I ever mastered that latter two raids so I always feel a little more stress when I think about them but I have fond memories of the first two.

Anyhow, we should get the band back together sometime.

by Oholiab @, Thursday, June 29, 2017, 20:22 (2514 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Thanks for the memories. I loved our Vanilla-HoW era raids/activities. Getting through those raids with your family is one of my highlights as well. I don't feel like I ever mastered that latter two raids so I always feel a little more stress when I think about them but I have fond memories of the first two.

Anyhow, we should get the band back together sometime.

I'm all for it. I still need to finish the latest raid! And I would like to do so... but to be honest I just want to start from the siege engine and go from there.

So if anyone has a checkpoint...

One of my favorite moments was during KF with you and kid.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, June 29, 2017, 23:35 (2513 days ago) @ Oholiab

At least I'm pretty sure it was you two.

Jr: oh my God his balls are all in my face!
*muffled unclear comment from adult woman*
Oholiab: No honey, that is really what happens. Balls go in your face.

Other top moments

Me: have you guys played Halo 5 yet?
Chappy: NO AND DON'T SPOIL IT. I'm going to play it with my friend next week.
Zero: So Funkmon, what did you think about Cortana still being alive?
Chappy: Are you fucking kidding me

---

Kermit not being able to jump on the activation platform in the King's Fall raid

---

Wu trying to kill himself on hard mode Atheon and accidentally punching two praetorians to death.

---

Christheecrappy getting so mad he made up new and interesting swears at the abyss.

---

Blackstar being the only guy alive after one Deathsinger run, and the rest of us having enough time to order in pizza while he sniped the rest of the knights.

---

Lawnmower cracking open that first beer after that first wipe was always a good moment. I'm pretty sure once while I was effed up on some of my back muscle relaxers we talked about tanks for an hour. I don't have clear memories.

---

The increasingly amusing run of Nico being dead during successful raids.

---

During the beta, me and Narc just jumped around on trees for a while and I realized I haven't just sat around in a game like this for no reason since Halo, something I thought was an age thing. Destiny had that thing, like Halo, where you just want to be in the game world.

---

The one opportunity I am really sorry I never got was popping a defender bubble during the last shoot phase on Crota on hard and killing everyone.

---

But like you, it has little to do with the game. I presume all MMOs are like this, but it was the social experience.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, June 30, 2017, 07:03 (2513 days ago) @ Funkmon

Was also in this group. Also had not had a chance to play Halo 5. >:(

This cracks me up every single time.

Doing the blind Vault of Glass run that first time is definitely my top moment in Destiny. What was our DBO team name? Team Extra Virgin or something like that?

A close second is introducing first timers to the dick pistons

It never gets old :p

-Disciple

lol

by Claude Errera @, Friday, June 30, 2017, 13:32 (2513 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 30, 2017, 09:31 (2513 days ago) @ Funkmon

Hilarious.

Other top moments

I would've helped you kill him, Chappy.

---

Kermit not being able to jump on the activation platform in the King's Fall raid

Fat cat stuck in the tub.

---

Blackstar being the only guy alive after one Deathsinger run, and the rest of us having enough time to order in pizza while he sniped the rest of the knights.

You always have a budget an extra hour for Blackstar to raid solo.

---

During the beta, me and Narc just jumped around on trees for a while and I realized I haven't just sat around in a game like this for no reason since Halo, something I thought was an age thing. Destiny had that thing, like Halo, where you just want to be in the game world.

It's true.

---

The one opportunity I am really sorry I never got was popping a defender bubble during the last shoot phase on Crota on hard and killing everyone.

It's okay. You made up for it by making us wait for 20 minutes while you talked to your dad on mic.

---

But like you, it has little to do with the game. I presume all MMOs are like this, but it was the social experience.

Yep.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, June 30, 2017, 13:35 (2513 days ago) @ Funkmon

This was hilarious. He'd just gotten his new Elite controller, and hadn't figured out how not to trigger the paddles, I think.

Wu trying to kill himself on hard mode Atheon and accidentally punching two praetorians to death.

I couldn't repeat this if I wanted to.

What started as a joke became a totem.

I'd have rage-quit.

by Oholiab @, Friday, June 30, 2017, 15:37 (2513 days ago) @ Funkmon

Oh that was us. Even Mrs. Oholiab remembers that.

Junior's favorite moment

by Oholiab @, Saturday, July 01, 2017, 17:03 (2512 days ago) @ Funkmon

Funkmon joins party

Funkmon: hey guys
Kermit: Hey Funk, how's it going?
Funkmon: Oh fine, just suffering from the squirts

Junior mutes mic and laughs uncontrollably

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, June 30, 2017, 07:25 (2513 days ago) @ Oholiab

So many great moments...

I remember when, one wipe at a time, someone different would troll and shoot at a Gorgon just so we'd have to start over.

I remember on Oryx when half the people there couldn't tell their left from their right.

or before then, the Daughters--where for twenty one wipes in a row, the only person "randomly" selected to be Torn Between Dimensions was the only one who didn't know how to jump. I also remember the one single time I got it, someone else rushed out and intentionally jumped on the wrong plate just to screw me. It was the first time I ever Rage Quit™!

When everyone ignored the Templar teleport block(and by association, me) for three full years, and the ear-to-ear grin on my face when Bungie made it one of the Legendary challenges.

IGIVEKIDSDRUGS.

Fallen S.A.B.E.R., when my orb appeared on the square panel that opened up in the middle, and my teammates spent half the freaking boss fight trolling by reviving me over a bottomless pit over and over.

Oryx Challenge mode. 'nuff said.

Atheon, when three separate people grabbed a relic and were each killed by fall damage without even jumping.

I remember the Dethzamboni, where we'd destroy the spider mine before it exploded...then it would disappear...then it would come back and explode twice.

I remember the headaches I got (and still get) when people tell me running up to a boss with a sword is "fun."

I remember getting Weasel'd the second we defeated a raid boss.

When 11 of us were farming Undying Mind Nightfalls, and the only person in the whole event that even got an Imago Loop was the only person in the whole event that didn't want one.

Allll the way back when Rainbow Burn was a thing, and Nightfall existed...when we drained the Archon Priest's health down to zero, walked out thinking he was dead, then regenerating 75% of his health and killing us all in one shot.

The Nightfall quitting trick...when someone would go out, die, and we'd wait ten minutes for him to quit and come back, then go in and die even faster.

Crota Challenge--ALSO 'nuff said.

When I took charge and tried a new role in the Crota raid--without throwing a goddamn temper tantrum.

Atheon--when he teleported people who didn't want the relic, they'd just make us wipe instead of bothering to learn the damn thing.

Crota, the one beast that outsmarts even Bungie at every turn.(Then again, that's not hard. They still don't have the brains to fix him.)

When two kids whose Campaign kill/death ratios are somehow negative tell me to git gud.

When people actually thought the places where Aksis teleport would be ideal areas for cover.
When the very first(and only) time we complete Oryx challenge mode, four people inside the Aura of Immortality(including the holder which in that case was me) fall over dead from a Misadventure.
Warpriest challenge.

Did I mention Oryx challenge?

The spawns.

Gjallarhorn only...

Touch of Malice only...

Bringing back Vex Mythoclast...

Taking away Field Scout...

The loot system...

I don't think I wanna play any more.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 30, 2017, 09:22 (2513 days ago) @ Morpheus

Wow. I don't want to play with the people you play with.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, June 30, 2017, 11:02 (2513 days ago) @ Kermit

Yeah...it's been pretty rough. Pretty, pretty rough.

I've got bad news, man. All the items highlighted in blue?
Those were all DBO.

I remember when, one wipe at a time, someone different would troll and shoot at a Gorgon just so we'd have to start over.

I remember on Oryx when half the people there couldn't tell their left from their right.

or before then, the Daughters--where for twenty one wipes in a row, the only person "randomly" selected to be Torn Between Dimensions was the only one who didn't know how to jump. I also remember the one single time I got it, someone else rushed out and intentionally jumped on the wrong plate just to screw me. It was the first time I ever Rage Quit™![/b]

When everyone ignored the Templar teleport block(and by association, me) for three full years, and the ear-to-ear grin on my face when Bungie made it one of the Legendary challenges.

IGIVEKIDSDRUGS.

Fallen S.A.B.E.R., when my orb appeared on the square panel that opened up in the middle, and my teammates spent half the freaking boss fight trolling by reviving me over a bottomless pit over and over.

Atheon, when three separate people grabbed a relic and were each killed by fall damage without even jumping.

I remember the Dethzamboni, where we'd destroy the spider mine before it exploded...then it would disappear...then it would come back and explode twice.

I remember the headaches I got (and still get) when people tell me running up to a boss with a sword is "fun."

When 11 of us were farming Undying Mind Nightfalls, and the only person in the whole event that even got an Imago Loop was the only person in the whole event that didn't want one.

Allll the way back when Rainbow Burn was a thing, and Nightfall existed...when we drained the Archon Priest's health down to zero, walked out thinking he was dead, then regenerating 75% of his health and killing us all in one shot.

The Nightfall quitting trick...when someone would go out, die, and we'd wait ten minutes for him to quit and come back, then go in and die even faster.

When I took charge and tried a new role in the Crota raid--without throwing a goddamn temper tantrum.

Atheon--when he teleported people who didn't want the relic, they'd just make us wipe instead of bothering to learn the damn thing.

Crota, the one beast that outsmarts even Bungie at every turn.(Then again, that's not hard. They still don't have the brains to fix him.)

When two kids whose Campaign kill/death ratios are somehow negative tell me to git gud.

When people actually thought the places where Aksis teleport would be ideal areas for cover.

When the very first(and only) time we complete Oryx challenge mode, four people inside the Aura of Immortality(including the holder which in that case was me) fall over dead from a Misadventure.

Warpriest challenge.

The spawns.

Gjallarhorn only...

Touch of Malice only...

The loot system...

Heh. This kinda reminds me of that 70's PSA--I forgot the name of it, but it was something like 'when you lie with someone, you lie with every person they lay with' or something like that. The same thing could apply to raids! ;-D

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 30, 2017, 12:37 (2513 days ago) @ Morpheus
edited by Kermit, Friday, June 30, 2017, 12:49

Yeah...it's been pretty rough. Pretty, pretty rough.

I've got bad news, man. All the items highlighted in blue?
Those were all DBO.

or before then, the Daughters--where for twenty one wipes in a row, the only person "randomly" selected to be Torn Between Dimensions was the only one who didn't know how to jump. I also remember the one single time I got it, someone else rushed out and intentionally jumped on the wrong plate just to screw me. It was the first time I ever Rage Quit™![/b]

IGIVEKIDSDRUGS.

Warpriest challenge.

The spawns.

Gjallarhorn only...

Touch of Malice only...

The loot system...

Heh. This kinda reminds me of that 70's PSA--I forgot the name of it, but it was something like 'when you lie with someone, you lie with every person they lay with' or something like that. The same thing could apply to raids! ;-D

Well, maybe you tend to remember things in a negative way or maybe people like to screw with you. I don't know. A lot of these don't seem like positive memories.

I do feel I need to talk with you about last night and the Warpriest incident, and I don't mind doing it publicly. I apologized for my outburst later but I don't know if you were still around to hear it. I'm apologizing now.

Some explanation: Yesterday sucked for a few reasons I won't get into and my well of positivity was at a low ebb. I was in a particularly bad mood and that's no one's fault but my own. It certainly wasn't anyone on the fireteam's fault.

Playing with Zero can be a little stressful for me sometimes because I do make mistakes, and he doesn't have much of a filter about expressing frustration--we've talked about it. All that said, I like Zero a lot and I like playing with him. I haven't played on the Xbox in a week or so, and wanted to play, and figured I could handle KF as long as I stuck to positions I was comfortable with. I've successfully taken the aura before, and I regret that I've avoided it so often, but last night definitely didn't feel like the right time or context for me to practice. If I'd been in a better mood, I wouldn't have taken Zero's pronouncing the raid a bad idea personally. I think anyone who raids with me knows I'm a pitbull and don't quit just because things aren't going well, but last night I was believing Zero, it wasn't a good idea for me to be playing. I felt like shit. I was on the verge of quitting, and that's saying something for me. And you, dear Morpheus, let's be honest, you don't have much of a filter either. You tend to talk nonstop, and I obviously didn't react well to your monologue about how easy taking the aura is. I know you weren't trying to be mean, and I'm sorry.

While I'm here, Chappy, you're one of the best raid leaders I've ever played with. Thanks for your guidance. Thanks to everyone for their patience last night. All in all, I had a good time and I think we did pretty well. I hope my lapses early on don't leave a lasting impression.

Morpheus, I hope you have better memories playing Destiny 2.

by Zero @, Florida, Friday, June 30, 2017, 13:10 (2513 days ago) @ Kermit

Playing with Zero can be a little stressful for me sometimes because I do make mistakes, and he doesn't have much of a filter about expressing frustration--we've talked about it. All that said, I like Zero a lot and I like playing with him. I haven't played on the Xbox in a week or so, and wanted to play, and figured I could handle KF as long as I stuck to positions I was comfortable with. I've successfully taken the aura before, and I regret that I've avoided it so often, but last night definitely didn't feel like the right time or context for me to practice. If I'd been in a better mood, I wouldn't have taken Zero's pronouncing the raid a bad idea personally. I think anyone who raids with me knows I'm a pitbull and don't quit just because things aren't going well, but last night I was believing Zero, it wasn't a good idea for me to be playing. I felt like shit. I was on the verge of quitting, and that's saying something for me. And you, dear Morpheus, let's be honest, you don't have much of a filter either. You tend to talk nonstop, and I obviously didn't react well to your monologue about how easy taking the aura is. I know you weren't trying to be mean, and I'm sorry.

I'm not really good with words, so this is probably gonna be a stream of conscious type of thing trying to say I'm sorry I got so frustrated last night, though not at you specifically. My frustration comes from a lot of deep seated issues, many of which I don't wanna talk about, but last night it came from the issue that I know we can do it, but we're not doing it and making stupid mistakes over and over and over again that we don't normally make. Just... I like playing with you you too when you can Kermit, you're a good guy that shouldn't have shit like what happened yesterday happen to you, either in game or work. Although you weren't very good with the aura on the Warpriest, I will say you were actually not bad at holding the gaze at Golgoroth. Need to work on your timing a little bit, but otherwise it went pretty well with you grabbing it.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 30, 2017, 17:42 (2513 days ago) @ Zero

I'm not really good with words, so this is probably gonna be a stream of conscious type of thing trying to say I'm sorry I got so frustrated last night, though not at you specifically. My frustration comes from a lot of deep seated issues, many of which I don't wanna talk about, but last night it came from the issue that I know we can do it, but we're not doing it and making stupid mistakes over and over and over again that we don't normally make. Just... I like playing with you you too when you can Kermit, you're a good guy that shouldn't have shit like what happened yesterday happen to you, either in game or work. Although you weren't very good with the aura on the Warpriest, I will say you were actually not bad at holding the gaze at Golgoroth. Need to work on your timing a little bit, but otherwise it went pretty well with you grabbing it.

In truth I kind of feel like I know what to do with the aura now, I was a fraction of a second too late in shooting my guy (we both died) and we wiped, and then, well, water under the bridge I hope for all.

Seconded. And thirded. And fourthed.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, June 30, 2017, 13:43 (2513 days ago) @ Kermit

While I'm here, Chappy, you're one of the best raid leaders I've ever played with. Thanks for your guidance.

I'm just here to listen to Chappy explain things :)

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Saturday, July 01, 2017, 14:56 (2512 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Friday, June 30, 2017, 14:38 (2513 days ago) @ Kermit

While I'm here, Chappy, you're one of the best raid leaders I've ever played with.

Truth. Chappy's "quick" explanations got me through a couple of virgin raids.

One time he was explaining one to me...

by Funkmon @, Friday, June 30, 2017, 14:44 (2513 days ago) @ ManKitten

And I literally forgot to listen to the entire thing and just Leeeeeeroy Jenkinsed it.

I always want the explanations, then get bored. Running commentary about what we're doing always works best for me.

You're a beacon, Kermit.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, June 30, 2017, 14:47 (2513 days ago) @ Kermit

Obviously I don't know what happened last night specifically, but I just have to say, I love raiding with you Kermit. You always speak up and ask for clarification on what's happening or what the plan is, and you always do it about two wipes before my patience breaks, and your speaking up seems to sort of reset everything and eases tensions. So thanks for that, for every time you've done it. In my experience, you've always been the voice of reason that keeps things more calm than they otherwise might be.

I'm out this weekend unfortunately, but I was hoping to finally do Wrath of the Machine the following Saturday, and I hope you can be there.

You're a beacon, Kermit.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, July 01, 2017, 13:13 (2512 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Thanks, cheapLEY. The last several times I've tried to organize a raid on the Xbox it was difficult. Other than the twitter group made up mostly of admins and chappy's group, it doesn't seem like there's any group of mostly DBOers who raid regularly on the Xbox anymore or maybe it's private matches all the way down.

Hope things pick up because traditionally I've done my blind raid on the mostly east-coast centric Xbox.

I've enjoyed playing with you again. Glad you're back. :)

You're a beacon, Kermit.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, July 01, 2017, 19:33 (2512 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Vortech, Saturday, July 01, 2017, 19:45

You'd never know it but most of the PS4 late night crew is east coast. Korny and I are in Georgia, Cruel is in east mooseland.

You're a beacon, Kermit.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, July 02, 2017, 00:45 (2511 days ago) @ Vortech

You'd never know it but most of the PS4 late night crew is east coast. Korny and I are in Georgia, Cruel is in east mooseland.

Yeah, yeah, I just can't keep up with you whippersnappers. If I can find five people who will commit to a blind raid, I'll play on any platform (except PC).

You're a beacon, Kermit.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, July 02, 2017, 07:19 (2511 days ago) @ Kermit

Yeah, yeah, I just can't keep up with you whippersnappers. If I can find five people who will commit to a blind raid, I'll play on any platform (except PC).

I'll definitely commit to it! I can avoid spoilers if we want to wait, too. I guess we don't know when the raid will hit, but I'm not looking to race to being raid ready like we did for KF. Hopefully that's not even an issue in Destiny 2.

My biggest thing right now is a race for internet. The electric company just came and marked the lines to my house so they can trench in the connection, so I'm assuming that means it'll be happening soon. Hopefully it'll be up and running by September, but I don't actually know.

I'll blind raid

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Sunday, July 02, 2017, 11:03 (2511 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Pyromancy, Sunday, July 02, 2017, 12:00

I'll definitely commit to it! I can avoid spoilers if we want to wait, too. I guess we don't know when the raid will hit, but I'm not looking to race to being raid ready like we did for KF. Hopefully that's not even an issue in Destiny 2.

My biggest thing right now is a race for internet. The electric company just came and marked the lines to my house so they can trench in the connection, so I'm assuming that means it'll be happening soon. Hopefully it'll be up and running by September, but I don't actually know.

I'll blind raid, I'd love to experience that! Its sort of a compromising position though since I WON'T rush brand new content to be "raid ready". I WON'T rush a raid just to try to finish it either. I've tried to do a raid as the only blind one left (shortly after the initial release window), and it doesn't take very long for the blindness to fall by the wayside and "THE strategy" gets hung out there as an enticement to the blind ones or blurted out by someone (no resentment, it just is what it is)

For 'Wrath' I was wrapped up in the "ARG" and puzzles for what turned out to be Outbreak Prime which had me looking at screen grabs and watching gameplay streams, of the new raid, spoiling some significant areas of the environment.
I adore the puzzles, the detail, and the time that went into making the raid, even more than the raid itself

Hasn't Like Smith said the raid release will likely be similar to King's Fall and 'Wrath'. So we can probably expect it very shortly after release? (This is kind of like a story that a friend of a friend tells you about another friend, and there is a language barrier to boot)
https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/6kb02o/luke_smith_hints_at_the_release_date_for_destiny/

2 or 3 days doesn't seem like long enough, and even if it is a week I'm not sure if that is long enough for me personally (I like to savor and enjoy new content)

I'll blind raid

by cheapLEY @, Monday, July 03, 2017, 08:24 (2510 days ago) @ Pyromancy

That's my thing too. I'm not rushing through the story or quests just to be raid ready. I'd want a few weeks, minimum. I'm willing to commit to staying blind for as long as it takes, if we can get a group that will pledge the same. I'm not willing to rush through all other content at a dead sprint to blind raid though. Especially not through a brand new, full game.

#RaidConfessions

by squidnh3, Friday, June 30, 2017, 15:23 (2513 days ago) @ Kermit

I kinda realized last night that the thing I do where you guys invite me to fill a spot, I join the party and hem and haw is kind of a jerk move (it might come across as asking you to beg). I'm normally legitimately torn, because raiding can be a big commitment, but I really like to help (I don't really care if we are successful or not). I'll be better about deciding in the future (putting a time limit on it really helps the decision, Chappy strikes again!).

#RaidConfessions

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 30, 2017, 17:47 (2513 days ago) @ squidnh3

I kinda realized last night that the thing I do where you guys invite me to fill a spot, I join the party and hem and haw is kind of a jerk move (it might come across as asking you to beg). I'm normally legitimately torn, because raiding can be a big commitment, but I really like to help (I don't really care if we are successful or not). I'll be better about deciding in the future (putting a time limit on it really helps the decision, Chappy strikes again!).

I was glad you decided to join. I didn't take it as you asking us to beg.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, June 30, 2017, 15:49 (2513 days ago) @ Kermit

Well, maybe you tend to remember things in a negative way or maybe people like to screw with you. I don't know. A lot of these don't seem like positive memories.

Something happened some time ago, around young adulthood, that radically changed perceptions and opened my eyes to the truth: The world is unfortunately a very dark, hurtful and appalling place. There is, of course positivity and good hearted nature and intelligence, but it's just drowning in a pit of the most incorrigible lecherous idiotic wastes to humanity. Monsters, parasites, criminals...presidents.

Even the optimal stress reliever such as video games become plagued with the same affliction. I do have positive memories of Destiny—just look at my YouTube channel—but they get swallowed up by the poison that infects online video gaming.

Some people see my thought process as negative, I see it as realism. Because that's the reality of it: Humanity is at its worst.

I do feel I need to talk with you about last night and the Warpriest incident, and I don't mind doing it publicly. I apologized for my outburst later but I don't know if you were still around to hear it. I'm apologizing now.

Some explanation: Yesterday sucked for a few reasons I won't get into and my well of positivity was at a low ebb. I was in a particularly bad mood and that's no one's fault but my own. It certainly wasn't anyone on the fireteam's fault.

Thanks, I do appreciate it. I should apologize myself--stewing over it was unnecessary; we all have bad days obviously. I tried not to think about it last night, but the power went out in my house, and with nothing to fix I eventually ran out of other things to think about.

Morpheus, I hope you have better memories playing Destiny 2.

Let's see how the beta plays out--news articles and opinion pieces don't mean anything, but most of the news I have heard about D2 sounds like really worrisome ideas...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 30, 2017, 16:35 (2513 days ago) @ Morpheus

Something happened some time ago, around young adulthood, that radically changed perceptions and opened my eyes to the truth: The world is unfortunately a very dark, hurtful and appalling place. There is, of course positivity and good hearted nature and intelligence, but it's just drowning in a pit of the most incorrigible lecherous idiotic wastes to humanity. Monsters, parasites, criminals...presidents.

Even the optimal stress reliever such as video games become plagued with the same affliction. I do have positive memories of Destiny—just look at my YouTube channel—but they get swallowed up by the poison that infects online video gaming.

Some people see my thought process as negative, I see it as realism. Because that's the reality of it: Humanity is at its worst.

My experience in life is that the world lives up or down to your expectations. i hope you get past your demons.

Pretty sure I also did some of the non blue things.

by Funkmon @, Friday, June 30, 2017, 14:12 (2513 days ago) @ Morpheus

- No text -

by Oholiab @, Friday, June 30, 2017, 15:40 (2513 days ago) @ Morpheus

Pretty sure I was a part of that Oryx run....

I don't want to play with Funk either.

by ProbablyLast, Friday, June 30, 2017, 14:10 (2513 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

by Claude Errera @, Friday, June 30, 2017, 13:39 (2513 days ago) @ Morpheus

I remember Mig doing a similar thing on Omnigul - before we were forced out of the antechamber, if someone died to explody thralls, he'd keep reviving them just as a new one came close.

I think I hurt myself laughing. (I think it was me exploding.)

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, June 30, 2017, 13:52 (2513 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I remember Mig doing a similar thing on Omnigul - before we were forced out of the antechamber, if someone died to explody thralls, he'd keep reviving them just as a new one came close.

I think I hurt myself laughing. (I think it was me exploding.)

I have Korny's clip of him doing this to Slycrel saved to my favorites :p

OMG hahahahahaha

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Saturday, July 01, 2017, 15:00 (2512 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

- No text -

Are those all me?

by Funkmon @, Friday, June 30, 2017, 13:52 (2513 days ago) @ Morpheus

- No text -

SOME. You Probably Know Exactly Which Ones! -_-

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, June 30, 2017, 15:51 (2513 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Everything I ever did to you was with love

by Funkmon @, Friday, June 30, 2017, 16:06 (2513 days ago) @ Morpheus

Like if you fart into a fan pointed at your wife.

DBO 360 "Custom" Match

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, June 30, 2017, 07:32 (2513 days ago) @ Oholiab

I remember that one time we spent like an hour trying to force destiny to match our two parties into the same game. As I recall my team was losing (badly) to the point where the other team decided to taunt us and all hide inside a defender bubble. I snuck around the corner and got all but one of them with a Fist of Havok if I remember correctly. I think Rellekh was the only one who survived but then immediately killed me?

I also remember doing the Kingsfall raid and we were going to lead one of the new players into the Piston to get killed (man that never gets old), but then Claude (WHO ALREADY KNEW ABOUT THEM) managed to get himself killed by the Piston before we could trick the new players into it!

I had a lot of fun with Destiny, but I find it hard to remember the good memories at this point. Partly because we've been playing it for so long and partly because I got burnt out on the grind, stupid RNG, and the weapon changes. The shotty/sniper domination was a real low point for me in terms of PvP play.

DBO 360 "Custom" Match

by Claude Errera @, Friday, June 30, 2017, 13:45 (2513 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I also remember doing the Kingsfall raid and we were going to lead one of the new players into the Piston to get killed (man that never gets old), but then Claude (WHO ALREADY KNEW ABOUT THEM) managed to get himself killed by the Piston before we could trick the new players into it!

SLANDER AND LIES!

And, well, maybe I just wanted to save the new people the embarrassment, didja ever think of that? Huh? Huh?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, June 30, 2017, 11:40 (2513 days ago) @ Oholiab

There was a true sense of wonder the first time I played Destiny…

With the basis of the lore explained, wandering around the cosmodrome in the Alpha filled me with a sense of wonder and curiosity. There were no missions or objectives, but exploring the space, and wondering what kind of things would happen when the game was released got my imagination turning.

Walking through the tower, listening to the music, and wondering what was to come really was something else. It felt like a 'Brave New World" indeed.

While the game may not have delivered on that hope, the Vault of Glass did. Not knowing what to expect and going in with no objectives or ideas about what a raid is was an amazing memory. Deeper and deeper into the unknown… a part of me thinks that waypoints, maps, and mission indicators have been the worst setbacks for modern game design.

Part of the reason I worry when folks say Des2ny is basically the same game as Destiny, is that there will be nothing to wonder at, or look at in mystery. I can't say for sure, but idea of a raid is well established now, and there's some sense of what to expect. Nothing's ever like your first time. While there are pleasures to be had from repeat visits to an activity, they are very different emotions. With all the talk about the lore being put aside… I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I can't help but feel it won't deliver and a deeper emotional level.

For all the supposed faults, I always felt like Halo 2 delivered upon the expansion of wonder and curiosity, as well as letting us take pleasure from the skills we already had from Halo. Hearing a snippet of a song, or a glance at a screenshot takes me back immediately to the feelings I had with the game. The sense of discovery was wonderful at the time, not just looking back.

As much as I complain about Destiny, there are bits and pieces that have quite the essence to them, and am curious to see if the sequel can build upon that.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 30, 2017, 12:44 (2513 days ago) @ Cody Miller

All of my best memories come from raids. All of them. And blind raiding is the most rewarding game activity I've ever participated in. It's also the biggest source of stress for me. It's what I care about the most, but I worry I won't level up in time, or that I won't find five people who are committed to playing blind.

Maybe I should ask now about D2's raid, who's with me?

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, June 30, 2017, 13:05 (2513 days ago) @ Kermit

All of my best memories come from raids. All of them. And blind raiding is the most rewarding game activity I've ever participated in. It's also the biggest source of stress for me. It's what I care about the most, but I worry I won't level up in time, or that I won't find five people who are committed to playing blind.

I am ALWAYS down for a blind raid. Most of my year 1 frustrations were with having a team that was "committed" to doing the raid blind, making it halfway through before having to call it a night and reschedule, confirming with everyone on raid day that we were still doing it blind, then finding out on raid night that they had decided to watch some Twitch streams and if I still wanted to do it blind I could GTFO.

Bonus points for Asshole #1 who, upon hearing that I hadn't had a chance to figure out the last boss fight yet and was avoiding any knowledge of the encounter, decided he had to give me "one word of advice" on how to beat the encounter, and Asshole #2 who was glad to help us out with our blind run without spoiling anything and then completely spoiled everything.

But it's not like I'm bitter or anything.

-Disciple

by Claude Errera @, Friday, June 30, 2017, 13:47 (2513 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I am ALWAYS down for a blind raid. Most of my year 1 frustrations were with having a team that was "committed" to doing the raid blind, making it halfway through before having to call it a night and reschedule, confirming with everyone on raid day that we were still doing it blind, then finding out on raid night that they had decided to watch some Twitch streams and if I still wanted to do it blind I could GTFO.

Bonus points for Asshole #1 who, upon hearing that I hadn't had a chance to figure out the last boss fight yet and was avoiding any knowledge of the encounter, decided he had to give me "one word of advice" on how to beat the encounter, and Asshole #2 who was glad to help us out with our blind run without spoiling anything and then completely spoiled everything.

But it's not like I'm bitter or anything.

-Disciple

I worried that I might be one of the assholes, but then I remembered that KF was the only raid I did blind, and I was absolutely clueless. :) (And had a blast, too.)

You guys are mental. Blind raiding is awful.

by Funkmon @, Friday, June 30, 2017, 14:05 (2513 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, June 30, 2017, 14:47 (2513 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I worried that I might be one of the assholes, but then I remembered that KF was the only raid I did blind, and I was absolutely clueless. :) (And had a blast, too.)

Nah, you're good. I (somewhat unsuccessfully) try to avoid A1 & A2 as much as possible, but you're definitely on the "Preferred Raiders" list.

-Disciple

This makes me glad my blind run never actually happened.

by ProbablyLast, Friday, June 30, 2017, 14:19 (2513 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

- No text -

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, June 30, 2017, 13:22 (2513 days ago) @ Kermit

I've always felt that they released the raids too early. If you have a ton of time you can be ready for them, but the schedule is too agressive. I'd prefer to go in blind and figure it out as a team. Other than making a pact liek this, I have little hope of being able to get that done with D2. But! Time will tell.

+1 "Blind Raiding" is the best

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, June 30, 2017, 15:05 (2513 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by CyberKN, Friday, June 30, 2017, 15:09

Makes me sad there's only an opportunity for it to happen like once a year now. Or longer if trends continue.

Bungie! Make more raids!

+1 "Blind Raiding" is the best

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, June 30, 2017, 15:18 (2513 days ago) @ CyberKN

Makes me sad there's only an opportunity for it to happen like once a year now. Or longer if trends continue.

As Destiny 2 launches less than a year after Rise of Iron and they've said the raid will release in the "launch window" I think it's safe to say that trend WON'T continue :)

Thank goodness.

"I don't want to jump to conclusions" Todays ed. of Cody Pls

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Friday, June 30, 2017, 14:09 (2513 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Best moments

by ProbablyLast, Friday, June 30, 2017, 14:15 (2513 days ago) @ Oholiab

Definitely spending 3 hours trying to burn down Skolas the first week with Zero and Funk only for Funk to get disconnected after we finally succeeded and not get any of the rewards. That was the funniest thing that has ever happened in a video game.

Close second would be unoudid dragging my corpse to the lighthouse the first week, only to not actually go himself because he didn't purchase the boons.

Distant third was the time Morpheus wanted to disprove someone needing 4 hours to solo the devil walker strike at level 8, so Funk and I joined him and just ran around the Earth doing nothing for 3 hours. Back when the weapons were actually fun enough to make doing nothing interesting. Feels like an eternity ago.

Also, I love you guys.

Oh, and loot cave. That's number 0 because it was the best point of this game.

I agree with some of these.

by Funkmon @, Friday, June 30, 2017, 14:20 (2513 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

I'd also like to add that post where Morpheus got banned on the forum. Haven't seen a flame post like that for ten years. Not sure if it counts. I don't even remember what was in it.

Unoudid not getting to the lighthouse was always good for a giggle every week.

I agree with some of these.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Saturday, July 01, 2017, 16:47 (2512 days ago) @ Funkmon

Unoudid not getting to the lighthouse was always good for a giggle every week.

RIP my dreams

by cheapLEY @, Friday, June 30, 2017, 18:51 (2513 days ago) @ Oholiab

My first ever Vault of Glass, of course. Cheating the jumping puzzle. Blackstar was leading me through, waiting around to watch me royally screw up the jumping puzzle that I'd never seen. Someone used the cheat to skip it, and I followed him. Blackstar seemed pretty disappointed. I still don't really know the proper way through that puzzle. When we cleared VoG a few weeks ago was legitimately the first time I've ever done it.

There was also that time I cleared Hard Mode VoG for the year one Moments of Triumph and got my first Fatebringer and Gjallarhorn at the same time. That was pretty cool.

Year one Moments of Triump in general stand out as a pretty cool time in Destiny. I helped a few people knock out Skolas in that last week before they closed, and that was a lot of fun. Skolas is still one of my favorite encounters in Destiny.

My first ever blind raid, King's Fall, with Kermit's crew will always stand out. Blind raiding is something special, and it's the only one I've ever done. It took us a few weeks, but we got it done, in the end, with the whole crew mostly intact. Can't wait to do another blind raid in Destiny 2.

These last few weeks have honestly been some of the most fun I've had with Destiny, though. Raiding with Korny, kupkake, Kermit, Destroyo, Ottermack, Bigarm, etc., over these past few weeks has been a real blast. It's been a huge reminder of why Destiny is so much fun. Hell, I even enjoyed playing Iron Banner for the first time ever.

As others have said, I'm not sure Destiny by itself has a lot of memorable moments. I can only remember a handful of specific encounters or situations or story beats, whereas I can still recall many of all of those things through the Halo games. But Destiny is far, far better at facilitating having good times with friends than Halo ever was. I've long wished that Destiny was more like Halo (and I still do, in some regards), but I think I've finally reached a point where I can recognize what Destiny is aiming for, and it's so much more than Halo ever was.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread