So Mad Max is really cool... *Not 100% OT* (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, July 03, 2017, 14:18 (2498 days ago)
edited by Korny, Monday, July 03, 2017, 14:32

Before certain other threads continue to drop our collective IQ, I wanted to post something neat and positive. I ain't just doing free work for Sony and MS when I plug their deals, I actually do get a number of those games; and my favorite (and most time-consuming) has been Mad Max, hands down (still on sale today for $8).

Developed by Avalanche Studios (known for making the "Just Cause" games), it's a bit of a weird game, and difficult to compare to other games in the open-world genre (besides the obvious connection to Just Cause). The Before You Buy guy compares it to Red Faction: Guerilla, with Arkham-style combat. The biggest thing that sets this game apart, though, is the heavy focus on car combat, and that has a pleasing amount of depth.

In fact, while there is a somewhat deeper story the further in you go into the game (and for those wondering, the game is set before the events of Fury Road, focusing on Gas Town, so if you lamented the limited view of the world that the film gave us, this game will make you happy), the overall plot of the game is "Max needs to build a car, and it needs to have a V8 engine", so obviously vehicles are going to be a huge focus in the game.

Anyway, I've put 37 hours into it, and I seem to be less than halfway through the story, halfway through the different upgrades and unlocks for Max, and less than halfway through the car upgrades (yeah, the car has more upgrades and unlockables than Max does), and I can't put it down (though it did start slow, as these types of games always do).

I like how the story is simple and straightforward, and it doesn't hurt that Max is nailed as a character who tries to detach himself from the horrors around him, but can never quite stop helping others anyway. Check this clip: the game gives you a simple setup with clear motivation, then lets you loose to succeed with the tools (and limited ammo) at your disposal:

Once in control, I ram into one car with my own, while simultaneously using a harpoon to rip the tire off another car (before running over the driver), then I switch to a makeshift rocket launcher to take out the third car. And so it all goes until I'm taking people out with my fists. It's a pretty wild game.

And a pretty game in general. The whole game takes place on and around a dried up seabed, and yet the developers have filled it with great vistas and sights. I generally don't like desert environments (Mars is my least favorite planet in Destiny, and The Dust missions are my second-least favorite part of Borderlands 2), but I love it in this game, and I can't quite pin why, but the fact that it's not boring certainly helps. And how best to appreciate this wonderful world? With the fantastic (definitely in my top 3) Capture Mode, of course!
Two reasons that it's in my top 3? The first is how crazy robust it is. From the 16 different filters and 26 different frames, to the little things such as being able to flip the entire camera upside down, the simple switch to auto-focus on Max, and the fact that it's a proper freecam, rather than being anchored to the player like 95% of other Photo Modes.
Check a few of my screenshots:

[image][image][image]
[image][image][image]

And the second reason is where the not-100%-OT-to-Destiny part comes in,
the game also has a Video Mode, where you can plug in a second controller, and the second player controls the camera in real-time, with a number of unique tools at their disposal. Here is the control scheme for the cameraman:
[image]

And it's been used to make videos like this one:

Assigning a second controller as the spectator in Destiny 2 could help keep the fireteam at three people, while freeing up the ability to take screenshots and/or video without needing to pause the game or tricking it into giving us a blank screen. Machinima could totally be a thing again (especially in Private Matches, when those launch).

Neat stuff! Anyway, the game is great, and I recommend you watch the "Before You Buy" video above to get a more thorough opinion from someone who has a few more nitpicks than I do (much like the Just Cause games, there are lots of small unpolished bits that we take for granted in games like Horizon Zero Dawn, like preemptively holding a button down before you reach the prompt, as that usually doesn't fly in Mad Max). But for $8, it's a great deal for a hidden gem.

PS: Here's a short clip of the neat unscripted moments that happen all the time:

So Mad Max is really cool... *Not 100% OT*

by cheapLEY @, Monday, July 03, 2017, 16:02 (2498 days ago) @ Korny

I played about 20 hours or so before I put it down. I really enjoyed it--something else came up I think. Maybe I'll get back to it sometime. It's worth playing, even if only to experience a huge dust storm rolling in.

So Mad Max is really cool... *Not 100% OT*

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, July 03, 2017, 16:14 (2498 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I played about 20 hours or so before I put it down. I really enjoyed it--something else came up I think. Maybe I'll get back to it sometime. It's worth playing, even if only to experience a huge dust storm rolling in.

I tried driving a stolen armored car through a darude (in first-person even!), and it got wrecked by debris and electrical bolts fairly quickly. I jumped out in time to get sent rolling by a piece of the debris, and ran to a nearby rock outcropping to put something between me and the storm... and it totally works! You hear the noise of the storm shift if you've got something sturdy between you and the wind, so the only threat is the lightning. Once the storm was over, I saw that a large crate (called a Motherloot) had landed near me. I opened it up, and got 300+ Salvage out of it.
If you put a ceiling between you and the storm, you're safer from the lightning (though metals near you still conduct), but not from debris if you don't have a wall as well. It's a neat little touch!

So is Zelda! (Absolutely 100% OT)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, July 04, 2017, 08:09 (2497 days ago) @ Korny

Rather than cluttering up the forum with another thread, I'll hijack Korny's to talk about another non-Destiny game.

I finally found a Switch! Drove an hour to a small little town that had three. It's totally worth the hype. It's a really cool machine, which is the first time I've ever said that about a Nintendo product.

And Zelda is truly incredible. I'm just now getting off the Plateau, and I can't wait to explore this game! If Zelda is the only thing I ever play on my Switch, it'll have been worth the purchase.

Hopefully Nintendo will actually support this thing and that won't be the case. If they let this thing truly replace the 3DS and consolidate development efforts onto the Switch, it could truly turn into one of the greatest platforms. I loved my 3DS, and there are some absolute gems on that platform, but I'm eager to see those sorts of games on the Switch with higher fidelity.

100% Agree

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, July 04, 2017, 09:09 (2497 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm about 2/3 through the game. SOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!!!!! I love how it doesn't hold your hand at all.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, July 04, 2017, 09:25 (2497 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Rather than cluttering up the forum with another thread, I'll hijack Korny's to talk about another non-Destiny game.

Hey, keeping things contained within a relevant thread (in this case, OT games) is great. I wish more folks did that.

I finally found a Switch! Drove an hour to a small little town that had three. It's totally worth the hype. It's a really cool machine, which is the first time I've ever said that about a Nintendo product.

I got to play around with my cousin's. It's neat, despite the terrible controller(s?). We played a minigame collection, mostly, but it was fun. Not $300 worth of fun, but some neat gimmicky fun.

And Zelda is truly incredible. I'm just now getting off the Plateau, and I can't wait to explore this game! If Zelda is the only thing I ever play on my Switch, it'll have been worth the purchase.

I wish I could get into Zelda games. They're just incredibly boring to me, and the new one looked no better (collection quests and grinding galore). I always play a few hours, but they never really add much to them. They never feel like more than a kid's entry-level RPG, which I guess they really are... Though the new one seems to have Kojima levels of small touches, which is always nice.

Hopefully Nintendo will actually support this thing and that won't be the case. If they let this thing truly replace the 3DS and consolidate development efforts onto the Switch, it could truly turn into one of the greatest platforms. I loved my 3DS, and there are some absolute gems on that platform, but I'm eager to see those sorts of games on the Switch with higher fidelity.

I'd tone down those expectations. Nintendo will fully support the 3DS for at least another two years, keeping the two markets separate. According to this actual article that I link to:

"We say that it’s a home console that you take with you and play with anyone, anywhere, anytime. It really is meant to deliver that great home console performance, you just happen to be able to undock it and take it with you, which is a key innovation," Fils-Aime said. "But look, in the end, what we want is we want the consumer to call it their device, right? Their preferred gaming device that they can play fantastic Zelda, Mario, third-party content, all of their favorite franchises brought to life on the platform. That’s what we want. And we’re greedy and we want Nintendo 3DS right alongside it."

That said, Gamefreak is reportedly developing a core Pokemon game for the Switch, so who knows? By the time Nintendo starts seeing it as a successor to the 3DS, they'll likely have a price drop or something to make it worthwhile, especially since simple stuff like voice chat is a mess right now...

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, July 04, 2017, 09:35 (2497 days ago) @ Korny

I wish I could get into Zelda games. They're just incredibly boring to me, and the new one looked no better (collection quests and grinding galore). I always play a few hours, but they never really add much to them. They never feel like more than a kid's entry-level RPG, which I guess they really are... Though the new one seems to have Kojima levels of small touches, which is always nice.

I've always been a Zelda fan, so I'm biased for sure. But BotW really seems like something special. It doesn't hold your hand at all. It's a stupid, cliche comparison to make, but it really feels very Dark Souls in that regard. Link wakes up, and you spend a brief amount of time in one area to get the powers you use for the rest of the game, and then you're just set free. Rather than gating progress with items from certain dungeons, you're given everything you'll need right up front and let go. It's fantastic.

I'd tone down those expectations. Nintendo will fully support the 3DS for at least another two years, keeping the two markets separate. According to this actual article that I link to:

"We say that it’s a home console that you take with you and play with anyone, anywhere, anytime. It really is meant to deliver that great home console performance, you just happen to be able to undock it and take it with you, which is a key innovation," Fils-Aime said. "But look, in the end, what we want is we want the consumer to call it their device, right? Their preferred gaming device that they can play fantastic Zelda, Mario, third-party content, all of their favorite franchises brought to life on the platform. That’s what we want. And we’re greedy and we want Nintendo 3DS right alongside it."

That said, Gamefreak is reportedly developing a core Pokemon game for the Switch, so who knows? By the time Nintendo starts seeing it as a successor to the 3DS, they'll likely have a price drop or something to make it worthwhile, especially since simple stuff like voice chat is a mess right now...

You're right, but I'm still holding on to hope that it's just Nintendo's blind PR. It may not be immediate, but this thing has to be a 3DS replacement eventually, right? The 3DS was a wonderful device, but it was showing it's age a few years ago, and now it just feels ancient. Gamefreak making a real Pokemon game for the Switch shows the direction things are headed, I think (and hope!).

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, July 05, 2017, 10:57 (2496 days ago) @ Korny

Your loss, I've skipped out on the last few Zeldas for how boring they were getting. I picked this up and it's absolutely stunning how much of a leap forward this has been in comparison to not just Zelda games, but open-world games in general.

The lack of hand holding, downright brutal combat, and really creative environment puzzles makes it one of my favorite games of the last few years.

+1

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, July 05, 2017, 11:13 (2496 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Sometime down the line, you should pick this up, Korny, if you ever have the opportunity.

Horizon Zero Dawn is an absolutely gorgeous, incredible open world game. The combat gives the player so many choices and a lot of freedom for picking strategies and implementing creative solutions. I would have a hard time believing a fan of HZD wouldn't absolutely adore Breath of the Wild too. It gives the player more freedom than just about any game I've ever played. This is a game all about creative solutions. While it's definitely not holding the players hand or forcing them through the story, it also gives the perfect amount of direction for those that want it. It clearly lays out goals and directions for those that need focus. I'm content to just explore. And while it's obviously not as detailed as HZD graphically, it's just as beautiful in its own way.

Bought it!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, July 05, 2017, 03:59 (2497 days ago) @ Korny

$8 is worth having the chance to play it some day. Thanks, Korny.

Walking the Walk video on Mad Max

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, July 05, 2017, 12:45 (2496 days ago) @ Korny

I've posted ACG's videos before, specifically the Walking the Walk on The Witcher 3. I enjoy his reviews, but I really like his Walking the Walk series, where he just walks around open world games to examine the world design and attention to detail in the games.

I haven't watched this one yet, but he just posted it yesterday, and as it's on Mad Max, I thought I'd throw it up in this thread in case anyone might be interested.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread